It Felt Like The Warning of What I Feel Now

Sophie could feel the heat of people's gazes, but for once it felt like it was for the right reason; whether she was a lowly governess or not, right now she looked like them, and soon she was to be wealthy enough to be one of them: a fact William thought to mention to whomever they conversed with.
'What are you doing?' Sophie asked quietly, once the couple they had been speaking to, left.
William's eyes widened: he had never heard Sophie speak so sharply. 'What do you mean?'
'I wished to keep my fortune a secret.' Sophie sighed, trying to soften her voice.
'I am helping you make acquaintances.' He defended, taking her to the side of the room.
Sophie furrowed her brow, 'And I need mention of a fortune to do that?' Snapping at him.
'May we take this outside?' William muttered through gritted teeth, noticing the occasional look that passed in their direction.
Sophie simply dismissed his plea. 'You do not think me capable of carrying idle chitchat?' She asked incredulously.
William shook his head. 'If you are to be my wife, we must rely on more than your goodly virtues, to pass the inspection of the ton.'

Sophie scoffed; they were all the same, every single one of them.
'I believe I am in need of a refreshment.' She grumbled, noticing the chain of her necklace, hanging from his pocket: she took it, but before she could skulk away, someone entered her path.
'Mister Bridgerton.' William declared joyfully.
Sophie stumbled backwards, stopping at William's side.
'Mister Crozier.' Benedict greeted with significantly less enthusiasm, 'Miss Taylor.' He added, only holding her gaze momentarily.
'I do say, Bridgerton, I am still yet to see this painting of yours, and the exhibition is in a number of days.' William spoke, his face and voice concealing what had just occurred.
Benedict scratched the back of his neck, 'I am just adding a few details.'
William waited a moment before smiling. 'I trust you, Bridgerton, do not make me look a fool.' Whilst his voice remained upbeat, there was a sinister undertone to it.
Benedict just nodded in response.

Before the awkward silence could be filled, a scream echoed in the ballroom. Everyone rushed over to its source: that being Lady Cowper.
'Oh, my necklace it is missing!' She cried, her eyes searching the floor. 'Oh my!' She placed a hand to her forehead.
'What does it look like, Lady Cowper, we shall have every one search for it?' Lady Danbury comforted her.
'It is a silver locket.' Lady Cowper said anxiously.
As her eyes searched the people surrounding her, Sophie could have sworn she saw a smirk erupt from her lips momentarily.
'There it is!' She pointed to the silver chain, hanging from Sophie's palm, 'She took it.' Her tone was cold and wicked.
Sophie could not believe what she had just heard; she went to defend herself, but no sound would leave her mouth.
'She must have taken it when the clasp broke.' Lady Cowper lied. 'Perhaps she thought she could pawn it off.'
As Sophie's fingers remained tight against her palm, she looked to William: after all she had seen her open the letter containing it. Yet, he said nothing, his eyes simply darted around the room.
As fear overtook her, she looked to one person, hoping he would help her: but Benedict simply shifted his gaze to the floor, his face guilt ridden.
She had never felt so low.
So as her eyes began to fill with tears, she stepped forward, haunted by the silence of the room, and handed over the locket: what else was she to do?
And once she finally released from her grip, she took one look up at the wicked smile upon Araminta's face, and ran. She ran out of the ballroom, she did not know where she was going to run to, but she was going to run the nonetheless.
Benedict so desperately wanted to chase after her, but what good would it do; in the moment when she needed him, he had remained silent.

'Sophie? What is it?' Frances asked, concern growing on her features, after having just opened the door, to see her best friend sobbing uncontrollably on the other side of it.
Sophie simply collapsed into Frances' arms. 'I am fool.' She cried against her shoulder, 'I must leave... I must leave London.'
Frances could not help but worry as to what had occurred, after all she had never seen friend like this before.
'Sophie, what happened?' Frances asked, as she stroked the girl's back.
'I am a fool, I should have kept my wits about me.' She cried, 'How could I ever believe I could be one of them?' Sophie sobbed.
Sophie collapsed to her knees, Frances followed her body: holding her still.
'You must take me with you.' Sophie said pulling away, so she could look Frances in the eye.
'Sophie.' Frances pleaded, fearing her friend was punishing herself.
'When you leave London, you must take me with you.'  Sophie spoke with such certainty, it was rather scary.