An Enigma

'Good morning, Miss Taylor.' Violet greeted, 'What have you done to my dear Hyacinth, to have her awake at this hour?' Violet chuckled, noticing the pair looking rather studious, with books spread across the table of the Drawing Room

Sophie smiled in response: 'She came to me of her own volition, Ma'am.'

'We are learning about the Romans, Mama! Hyacinth piped up, showing her mother the page in the textbook.

'That is wonderful, My Dear.' Violet said, before crossing to the over side of the room, where she found her eldest son and Kate.

'I do believe Hyacinth is benefitting greatly from Miss Taylor's presence.' Violet told the pair quietly, as she prepared a cup of tea.

Anthony turned his head slightly, to look at the duo on the other side of the room, both engaging in what appeared to be an inspired conversation. 'Indeed.' He muttered.

'What do you truly know of her?' Violet asked her son.

He bowed his head to lessen the distance his words would travel.

'Not much. Her parents are both deceased, and she is here under the guardianship of a mysterious benefactor.' He explained softly, Violet and Kate hanging off of his every word.

'Did she name this benefactor?' Kate asked, looking between her husband and the younger woman.

Anthony face momentarily bore a guilty expression: 'I didn't ask.' He sighed, 'She was the only applicant I deemed acceptable, working off of Hyacinth and Gregory's concerns, and much too intelligent to pass on.' He explained.

Kate nodded, understanding her husband's thinking. Violet, however remained with her gaze focused on the girl, as if trying to see if she would give away any clues as to who she was.

'Would you like me to question her further?' Anthony asked, noticing his mother's absent gaze.

She remained watching as Elouise and Benedict entered the room: Elouise making a beeline to where Hyacinth and Sophie sat. It was evident that she had begun to passionately discuss something, with Sophie taking the brunt of the lecture, the smile never falling from her face, so to allow Hyacinth to continue reading.

'Mother?' Anthony asked.

Sophie caught Benedict's eye as he stood behind Elouise, an amusement filling them. He made a mouth with his hand, mocking Elouise's talking.

Sophie responded with the raising of her eyebrow and the gentle shake of her head, hoping that Elouise would not be distracted by her scolding her brother.

She shook her head: 'No, I believe she will do this family some good.' Violet responded, a confidence in her tone.