The Truth Lies Beyond The Ink

After her run in with Mr Crozier at the Modiste, he had offered her a room in his townhouse: for whilst the Bridgertons remained in the country, she was without refuge.
She had originally planned to simply spend all of her time with Frances, who seemed to be making a recovery, but once she realised that sitting on the floor of her room, was not a sustainable option, she accepted his offer. After all, it would not be just the two of them, Mr Crozier's sister was staying with him until the end of the summer.

A soft knock was heard at her already opened door: there her eyes greeted the cheerful smile of William Crozier.
'Miss Taylor, there is a letter for you.' Mr Crozier held it out in front of him, but one Sophie met him with a rather confused look, he provided her with more information. 'I believe it is from a solicitor.' His words causing Sophie to spring from her feet, 'It seems to have been redirected from the-'
'Bridgerton household.' She finished his sentence from him, taking the letter from him.
'Yes.' He clarified, watching as she ripped open the letter.

Sophie could feel her heart racing in her chest, a letter could mean only one thing: news of her father.

As she read it her mouth fell agape.
'What is it?' William asked, rather concerned.
'My father. He left me a considerable fortune upon his death, one I was entitled to upon my coming of age.' She spoke breathlessly, the shock never leaving her eyes or voice.
'My! that is considerable!' Mr Crozier exclaimed, peering over her shoulder.
'And here.' She pointed with her index finger, 'It names my mysterious benefactor.'
'A George Farmer.' William stated, searching in his mind for the name, 'I can't say I have heard the name before.'
Sophie sighed, 'No.' she stated in agreement.
'You do not what this means though, don't you, Miss Taylor?' William moved slightly, so he stood in front her.
Sophie simply shook her head.
'You may give up your role as a governess.' He said rather excitedly, 'With a fortune like that, you need never work a day in your life, again.'
Sophie stood rather tongue tied, she had not even considered that, and frankly she did not want to, she loved being a governess.
'Sorry, I did not mean to put ideas in your head, or words in your mouth even.' He quickly apologised, 'I just assumed it would be what you wanted.'
'It is quite alright.' Sophie comforted him, 'It is certainly something to think on.' She said politely.
'There is something more in the envelope.' Mr Crozier eyes casted down to her hand.
Sophie reached inside, pulling out a silver locket.
'I do say, I hope that is not all that is left of your fortune.' William joked.
However, Sophie did not respond, she simply held the necklace in her shaking palm.
'It is my mother's necklace.' She mumbled.
Mr Crozier sighed, kicking himself for making such a comment. Then, he gently combed his fingers over its chain.
'May I, Miss Taylor?' He asked softly.
Sophie nodded, turning around slowly so that he may fasten the locket around her throat.
His hands trembled as he took a step closer, allowing the locket to land on her bosom, before he fastened it at then nape of her neck. His hot breath sending a shiver down her spine.
He lingered for a moment, before stepping back so that she may turn around a face him.
'It is an exquisite piece.' He complimented, as his eyes raked over her body, only returning to meet hers.
'Thank you.' Sophie whispered, noticing the intensity of his stare; she was no fool, and the feeling swimming around in them was one she recognised, Benedict had often look at her in the same way: yet, there was a shallowness to Mr Crozier's look, and it did not seem the have the same entrancing effect on her.
'I should be going.' Sophie interjected.
William dropped his head, clearing his throat:
'Yes, me too.'
'Good day, Mr Crozier.' Sophie said, quickly attaching the bonnet to her head, before fleeing out of the room.
'Good day, Miss Taylor.' He repeated, his voice trailing off once he, realised she was already gone.

Upon arriving at the Barnaby household, Sophie decided it would be best for Frances to get outside, now that she was slowly recovering. So the pair went for a rather slow walk, Sophie holding Frances the entire time, catching her with every wobble. Once she could see her growing rather tired, the pair decided to take a break, resting on a nearby bench.
'This is new.' Frances commented, gently holding up Sophie's necklace, 'Was it a gift from Benedict?' Frances teased with a smirk.
Sophie smiled slightly, but Frances could see the sadness behind it.
'It was my mother's.' Sophie explained, 'I received it today, along with the news of my father's fortune.'
'What of it?' Frances asked so quickly, she found herself coughing afterwards.
Sophie ensured her friend was okay, before continuing:
'After my father's death, we were removed from the estate. When my mother asked to see his will, his family told her that it had been lost. She always assumed his parents had an involvement in it, considering they never really approved of her. So when the time came, mother had no power in ensuring we saw any of his fortune.
'That is how your mother end up working at that gentleman's club.' Frances answered, putting the pieces together.
'Indeed.' Sophie stated, 'Yet it turns out, that before his death, my father had put away a large amount of money: money that could not be touched by anyone except for me-'
'Or your mysterious benefactor.' Frances finished her sentence, a childlike wonderment to her voice.
Sophie nodded, smiling at the enjoyment her story seemed to be bringing Frances.
'So, how come you have never seen a penny of this fortune?' Frances asked, most puzzled.
'It was to be entrusted to me by my benefactor, upon my coming of age, but he never made such arrangements.' Sophie answered.
'The man must surely be dead.' Frances speculated, 'How else can I person simply disappear?' She asked rhetorically.
Sophie hummed in agreement, her eyes watching the way the wind caused the branches to sway in the distance.
'So, is there no way for you to collect your inheritance, without this benefactor?' Frances asked, her mind racing with thoughts.
'Well, it seems that the solicitor has informed Anthony of his findings, and that he replied asking for him to find a way for me to do as such.' Sophie explained, a smile upon her face.
'And?' Frances asked frantically.
'He believes he has found a loophole.' Sophie stated.
Frances beamed, her eyes drifting to the sky, before chuckling.
'What are you to do with all that money?' She half queried, half stated.
'I do not know.' Sophie chuckled to.
The pair soon overcome with laughter. They did not know truly why they found it so amusing, but they did nonetheless.
Frances sighed, as their laughter ceased, the both of them trying to find a comfortable position on the bench again.
'You know, you are yet to tell me what happened.' Frances goaded, earning her a puzzled glare from Sophie.
'At Aubrey Hall.' Frances clarified, 'That morning you returned to London, you were distraught, before even laying your eyes upon me.'
Sophie looked to her fingers, watching them fidget, with the fabric of her dress.
'Sophie.' Frances placed a comforting hand upon her shoulder, 'You may tell me.'
Sophie took a sharp breath, unsure of how to phrase it.
'He asked me to marry him.' She mumbled.
'Benedict?' Frances' eyebrows shot up, but her tone remained gentle.
Sophie nodded quickly.
'And you turned him down?' Frances getting to the words before she could.
'He did not love me, Frances .' Sophie argued shakily, 'He was merely caught up in it all, we both were. He was going to sacrifice his entire future, and I could not let him do it.'
Frances watched the sadness dance upon her friend's face, it caused her to question as to whether it was right to say what she was going to:
'He wrote to me.' Frances stated, Sophie's jaw dropped.
'When?' Sophie queried.
'A day or so ago.' Frances said, she too now fidgeting with her dress, 'He said he heard that I was unwell, and was wishing me a quick recovery. He also said that should I need his help in anyway, he would do whatever he could.' Frances took a breath. 'And finally he asked after you.'
'What did he say?' Sophie asked, rather unsettled as to whether he had revealed the whole of the situation to her.
'Not much. He simply explained that he feared you would not answer him if he wrote to you directly, and was merely checking you had returned to London safely.' Frances told her.
Sophie nodded slowly.
'What did you say in response?' Sophie asked meekly.
'Well, given my current state it has been rather hard to pen a response.' Frances teased, causing Sophie to giggle.
A moment of silence ensued.
'He is too good for me, Frances.' Sophie simply stated.
France sighed: 'Well, I would love to disagree, but I known your mind is immovable in situations such as this, and given all that has happened.' She looked down, in reference to herself, 'I know his love would never be enough the protect you from those vultures of good society.'
Sophie silently agreed, allowing Frances to rest her head on her shoulder, as the two of them looked out in to the distance.
She was so convinced she was to lose her friend; last night had been the first night she had truly slept, the dread consuming her previously. She did not know what she would do without Frances: that had become even more evident now.

[Author's note: Any guesses as to who this mysterious George Farmer may be? Also how do you all feel about Mr Crozier?]