•|| On the Hunt ||• (Mermay 2024)

Prompt 2: On the Hunt

Featuring: Killer!

Ships: None.

Summary: Hunting down a fish.

Warnings: Fish-slaughter

____________________________________________________________

It was quiet, almost peaceful, even. Sunlight filtered through the surface of the water with ease, glimmering upon a hundred thousand scales in a large school of fish.

One fish in particular seemed to almost glow brighter than the others under the influence of the sun's rays; its pride of the little shiny silver plates that decorated its body showed as it flicked its tail in an almost flaunting manner.

A cascade of bubbles suddenly washed over the fish as all of the other fish in its school abruptly darted away, leaving the one confused.

Why did the others swim away so quickly? What happened? What scared them...?

The water now felt colder, and the once peaceful silence now just felt... creepy. The fish couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.

It spun around in a circle, trying to figure out what was wrong, and--

Oh.

Two empty black abysses stared back. Followed by a face. And a large shark tail.

The fish whipped around and fled, frantically swishing its own tail in an attempt to get away. It could feel a disturbance in the water as the monstrous beast gave chase.

Faster, faster, and faster the little fish swam, but its shining scales were like a beacon for the hunter to go after. Behind rocks, in seaweed clumps, even trying to blend into other schools of fish were all useless as the shark relentlessly pursued his prey.

He could almost hear the fish's pounding soul as it attempted to escape, but to no avail.

Maybe if the fish had swam just a little faster. Maybe if it had taken more sudden turns, or if it hid in better spots... maybe it would have lived.

But with a burst of speed and a snap of his jaws, it was all over. The fish had lost the race for its life.

.

.

.

Killer returned back to the trenches later, carrying his catch proudly in his mouth. It had been a fast little fucker who led him on a wild goose chase to catch it, but it was worth it!

As he set it down into the kill pile, he found that one of the fish's larger scales had gotten stuck between his teeth. He plucked it out, and he almost threw it away before he hesitated for a moment.

The scale truly was beautiful, all shiny and silver... maybe he should keep it to remember.

____________________________________________________________

This one's really short, sorry! :')

Oneshot by me.
Leviathantale by @skumhuu on Tumblr.
Mermay 2024 Bingo by @skumhuu on Tumblr.