new friend application! only requirement: don't sacrifice youself

Start bij het begin

Bronte shook her head. "I'm fine. If I don't focus on it, it doesn't hurt that bad."

Just hearing that made Percy want to shake her and demand why she jumped in front of him. Granted, he would have done the same thing for her, but he still would rather him be hurt than her.

"There is a clearing ahead," Thorn said. "We will summon your ride."

"What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"

"Silence, you insufferable girl!"

"Don't talk to my sister that way.'" Nico said. His voice quivered, but Percy was impressed that he had the guts to say anything at all.

Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasn't human. It made the hairs stand up on the back of Percy's neck, but he forced himself to keep walking with Bronte right beside him and pretend they were being good little captives.

Meanwhile, Percy projected his thoughts like crazy—anything to get Grover's attention: Grover! Apples! Tin cans! Bonnie's hurt! Get your furry goat behind out here and bring some heavily armed friends! PLEASE!

"Halt," Thorn said.

The woods had opened up. They'd reached a cliff overlooking the sea. At least, Percy sensed the sea was down there, hundreds of feet below. He could hear the waves churning and could smell the cold salty froth. But all they could see was mist and darkness.

Dr. Thorn pushed them toward the edge.

"What is he?" Bianca whispered. "How do we fight him?"

"I...I'm working on it," Percy said, his eyes moving around their surroundings.

Bianca stared sadly at him, then to the injured girl he was holding. She didn't feel all that assured, and Bronte couldn't blame her. If she wasn't fighting poison in her system, she knew they would be better off.

"I'm scared," Nico mumbled. He was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

"Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn said. "Face me!"

The four kids turned. Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. At first Percy thought it was a switchblade, and he gripped Bronte tighter, but it was only a phone. He pressed the side button and said, "The package—it is ready to deliver."

There was a garbled reply, and Percy realized Thorn was in walkie talkie mode. It seemed way too modern and creepy—a monster using a mobile phone.

Percy glanced behind him, wondering how far the drop was. If he could just...

Dr. Thorn laughed. "By all means, Son of Poseidon. Jump! There is the sea. Save yourself."

"What did he call you?" Bianca muttered.

"I'll explain later," Percy said.

"You do have a plan, right?"

Grover! Percy thought desperately. Please hurry!

Maybe Percy could get both the di Angelos to jump with him and Bronte into the ocean. If they survived the fall, he could use the water to protect them. He'd done things like that before. If his dad was in a good mood, and listening, he might help. Maybe.

"I would kill you before you ever reached the water," Dr. Thorn said, as if reading Percy's thoughts. "You do not realize who I am, do you?"

"Should we?" Bronte asked. Percy had to stifle a laugh. Even with her injury, she still found a way to make a sarcastic joke.