Chapter 1 - Choices We Make

The doll fell off from her hand when she heard that wailing sound. The little girl hold her dad's hand tight. She just froze for a second and looked at her dad when the ambulance just passed like a lightning. He gave the doll and said that there's nothing to worry about. She kept staring at the ambulance until it's completely out of her sight. She asked her dad why the ambulance is so violent and aggressive. Dad answered that the siren helps the ambulance to clear its way and transport the patients to hospital as fast as possible. She realized that these things are done to save lives. And that's what Danny was doing for a while.

He stepped his heavy foot over the brakes as they've reached the hospital. Danny and his colleagues fastened the stretcher and delivered the patient to the Intensive Care Unit. He stood there for a minute with silence, hoping for a fast recovery to that patient. He sighs and made his way to the washroom. Washed his face thoroughly and looked at the mirror. Danny is thinking about that last patient he rescued just a couple of minutes ago. That patient almost looked like his father. Some memories arises when he stood at the mirror.

Looking into the eyes, he saw something. His past. The day he lost everything. His home, his family, his friends and almost everything he cared about. Gunshots, fire and smoke all over the streets. Hiding behind the garage and the moment he heard that reloading sound, his soul already left his body. He turned over and... Bang! He woke up from that nightmare when one of his colleagues entered the washroom. Panting lasted for a minute and after taking a long breath, he is ready to hit home. He always wish to live somewhere peaceful. Even bad luck use to hit him hard, he always figure out solutions to keep moving further in life.

When Danny was about to enter the house, he saw someone standing at the river bank. He stripped his clothes and went down to the river without being poked. He dived deep and swim towards that person who was standing on a small pier. Like a crocodile aiming it's prey, he went near the pier nice and slow. Well, it's show time. Danny grabbed at the edge of the pier and raised up with a terrific sound to scare Michelle, his wife. She freaked out and plunged into the river. It's a perfect vibe to go swimming and the sun was about to get real low.

The photos in the album looks good as new. She love to see the young Danny in those photos, sharing good old times with his family. She always think about meeting his parents. But she didn't get a chance and will never be. So, she thought to visit Danny's hometown at least. The place where he grew up and spent most of his childhood. She talked about it and at first, Danny wasn't ready for that. He walked away without saying anything. But later he thought something was left there to junk.

Michelle found him sitting outside, thinking about something. She popped a couple of beers and joined him. Diving into some good memories, he talked about his dad's old car. The car in which he learned to drive, went for the first date, got a speed ticket, etc. He think it's still there in a rotten condition. That's the only thing he want to retrieve from his past life. His dad was a gearhead who had a strong passion for cars. Danny spent a lot of time on repairs and maintenance works with his dad. So, that car was special for him. Michelle found it heart-warming. That gave her one extra reason to push Danny to pack the bags. Finally, he agreed. They've decided to head Bromton next morning. This is were Danny grew up.

Midnights can be hard. Haunting nightmares made him sleepless more often. He always try hard to erase those disastrous memories from his head but it pops up every night, every similar encounters with people, nature, and whatever things he deal with. Michelle sense things. She knew something big and heavy is eating him from inside. She also witnessed a few moments where he burst out from sleep and yelled at middle of the night. She asked him several times about the cause but he wasn't ready to address the backstory. Some horror stories from the books, he said.

- acxei