Chapter 10

Kiana was baffled. So, this boy had been involved into a minor Honkai Eruption. Not exactly surprising, but he somehow got out of the ordeal without losing his memories, which was surprising. The memory wipe thing was supposed to be pretty thorough so yeah. This wasn't such a good thing however, since he ended up being the only one with his memories intact. Kiana cringed a bit at that revelation : in her travels, she had seen people getting memory wiped and then going on with their lives as if nothing happened. So much emotion, gone just like that. She knew the reasoning behind this procedure and thought it was necessary, but still. It was disturbing enough when she didn't get to know about the people that forgot, so Ki must have suffered and felt lonely when the people that forgot were his classmates. Which explained his outburst : the tension, doubts and stress must have overwhelmed him.

But it was odd. He claimed to know only a little : Kiana saw things differently. How did he know about Herrschers then ? That was more than just "only a little".

"I...don't really know how to be honest." His answer made no sense.

Her years of travelling across the world taught Kiana quite a bit on how to distinguish lies. She could tell his confusion was genuine, but that he also didn't tell everything. It was almost as if he heard all of this for the first time but knew almost everything she told him.

But that's impossible...

...,right ?

...

...

Ki plopped down on his bed, ruminating on the info he got earlier. After thanking Kiana for her help, he came back home immediately to digest what he heard.

On the bright side of things, he now understood the logic of the memory wipe. Since Honkai grew along with civilization, there was a risk that it would gain strength if too many people knew about it. The aftermath was still nasty, but he preferred that over blind ignorance. Now that he calmed down, he painfully realized how rash and immature his actions had been. Despite him believing that keeping his memories was the good choice, he clearly hadn't been able to properly deal with the consequences of that decision. But even that had passed over the long walk to get back home. While the gears in his brain were still working with enthusiasm, Ki felt mostly calm. Yes, he felt calm.

Which is exactly the problem here.

How could he be so calm ? How come he wasn't lost in disbelief, denial or shaking in fear ? He had accepted almost everything she told him without much surprise or doubt : that was abnormal. The Honkai was too alien a concept for a random dude like him to properly understand and...well, not freak out. At least, it should.

I knew this already, didn't I ?

But he never heard of all of this. The word Herrscher seemed to be vaguely familiar : he hazily remembered hearing that word when he was younger. Maybe his parents spoke about it ? But he had no idea of where and when precisely. And even so, it didn't explain how he didn't question her sanity.

She didn't completely believe me.

Couldn't blame her. Even he didn't trust himself right now. Shit. Since that damn incident, everything was-No, wait. The behavior of his parents had started to slightly show hints of foreboding and gloom before moving to Nagazora and a month after moving in the city. What did this mean ?

They know about something that I don't. Could it be...Were we moved here because of something else other than academic reasons ?

"It makes sense that you would be so concerned. However, I can guarantee you that nothing went wrong in providing you with the generosity you mention. I just think that you'll be able to give me a surprise."