Prologue

"We're finally here !!" shouted my mother from the top of her lungs, for the ,who knows, maybe 5th time already. 

"Dear, we're gathering looks." my father warned.

"Mom, this is awkward" I concurred.

"Oh, sorry, sorry." she apologized with a beaming smile.

All three of us were in the process of moving into our new house in Nagazora, specifically putting our stuff in it. Activity that didn't seem to deplete my mother's energy, something that didn't surprise me and my father. Throwing wry smiles at each other, we continued our task.

My name is Ki Tengo. My father is Tatsumi Tengo, and my mother is Yukina Tengo. Until a week ago, we lived peacefully in the countryside, and were a run-of-the-mill three-person family. Yet, the principal of my school suddenly told me that I had received a scolarship from Raiden Ryoma.

*Flashback*

"...What ? But... why ?"

"Chiba Academy, in a partnership with ME Corp, chooses ,each 3 years, some students with sufficient qualities for enrollment in its surroundings. And you've been chosen as one of them." explained the principal, a woman in her forties, in classic office working clothes, with a tone as if it was simple. 

I began to think. Indeed, while not being a prodigy, I always had an easy time with school. Even with not a lot of work, I always had good grades and didn't get critics due to my careful behavior. However, that surely wasn't enough to get me a scolarship for the prestigious Chiba Academy, right ?

But the principal handed me the official papers and gave me a timing at which Raiden Ryoma himself would meet me. I felt that something was going on here.

*Flashback end*

I looked at the time on my phone. "It's time ,I have to go if I want to make it on time for the rendez-vous." 

You don't miss an invitation by the boss of ME Corp.

"OK, be careful" 

"Don't forget to thank him."

Us three had discussed about this meeting. Beyond the surprise and joy, the question of why a scolarship in Chiba Academy and even a new house were given began to worry us. Too much of good news would get scary, after all. In the end, we decided that I would carefully ask him why while thanking him for this generous chance.

I began to walk towards the ME Corp building. It wasn't that far, and I needed time to organize my thoughts, so I didn't call a taxi. 

Once I got close to the building, it felt really tall and intimidating. I followed the instructions I was given by the secretary in the lobby and took the elevator to Raiden Ryoma's office. "Welcome, Tengo-kun. You're just on time." The head of ME Corp was watching me with a smile.

"Thank you for taking the time to meet me." I bowed my head once I took my seat in front of him.

"No need to feel like that, I wanted to see you too, as I am sure you've got questions for me." He assured me, cutting straight to the chase. I braced myself and then asked,

"I am not doubting your sense of judgement, and I am immensely grateful for this generosity that you've offered us, but I would like to ask you : There is probably other people qualified as much as me or more for this opportunity. So why me ?"

His nod indicated that he knew that I was going to ask him that. 

"It makes sense that you would be so concerned. However, I can guarantee you that nothing went wrong in providing you with the generosity you mention. I just think that you'll be able to give me a surprise."