A little something on the side

While I work on the next chapter, I figured I'd do a little book dump. I have so many bits and pieces of this story that won't be making its way into the main plot or was just something that I wrote to satisfy a brain itch I have. So without further ado, enjoy some scattered bits.

BIT #01: A song that birthed a scene

Tell Ur Girlfriend- Lay Bankz

=What it's been with us this whole time=

"Look at me. Look me in the eye and tell me you're mine, Ardeth." Lidia said seriously. Ardeth had begun to distance himself from her recently. They had discussed the expectations of their relationship all but briefly in the past. They both knew that the passion between them had an expiration date, but Lidia was willing to fight for them.

"I can't." Ardeth couldn't look her in the eye. He wouldn't be able to handle seeing the hurt he'd cause. He'd hope that by putting distance between them, their fire would slowly fizzle out. The distance however did nothing but piss her off. That's what brought her to his village, under the guise of 'official business'. Thats why now, while the people of his village slept peacefully, she stood before him demanding answers.

"I don't give a shit if your elders have a pre-arranged engagement made for you." Lidia had made her way over to where he was sitting. She placed her hand on the back of the chair, effectively caging him in. "What do you want, Ardeth?"

"It's more complicated than that, Lidia." Ardeth was having trouble focusing. Lidia was leaning over him, face close and eyes piercing his very being. He was used to her aggression, just not when it's been turned on him.

"Then make it simple." Lidia whispered into his ear. She was laying kisses along his neck as she settled in his lap. Ardeth's hands came to rest on her hips instinctively. "I know what I want, Ardeth, and I'm not afraid to go after it." He felt her nibbling on his neck, knowingly leaving a trail of hickeys. She was marking her territory for anyone to see.

=What if I let your girl find out? =

With her body against his, and her roaming hands and lips, rational thought was absent from his mind. He had expectations to meet for his community as both a warrior and a commander. His people would never accept an outsider as his partner. Yet he knew that Lidia had his heart in her hands, just as he had hers.

BIT #02: A conversation between Chief Adnan and Ardeth after their meeting with Carlyle

Two Medjay walked into the tent. Chief Adnan Bay and his son Ardeth had just returned from France after meeting with the new Director of the Guardians.

"Disrespectful, foul mouthed, ignorant son of a-" Ardeth rubbed at his temples as his father continued to talk. His father had been complaining nonstop since the meeting four days ago. His father was right of course. The blatant disrespect shown by the Guardians new director was inexcusable. The Medjay have cherished their practices as well as their fighting style for thousands of years. They took great pride in their skills as warriors and even when the world changed with time, they refused to forget the ways of their people. Thus, the anger fueled ramblings of Adnan continued.

Carlyle had the grand idea that instead of pushing the date of the meeting back, he'd negotiate the new deal with the Crows himself. His father's agenda had listed the suggestion of having the Crows undergo the mandated training field agents have to do, albeit leave it as optional. While Henry had understood the importance of allowing the Medjay their freedom, his son didn't. He figured he could try to fold the Medjay under the organization's jurisdiction completely.