Chapter Six: I Can See You

HOT TO GO! by Chappel Roan
I Can See You by Taylor Swift

-
-
Evan "Buck" Buckley
-

It's been four days since I saw Eddie last and now? I can't stop thinking about that post-bar kiss. Did that actually happen? It doesn't feel real. Nothing since I game back post-accident has felt real. I find myself questioning if this is just some odd-drug induced dream that feels as if it's trapping me in my place.

I stop at my locker and throw my bag in, grabbing out my work clothes. As I close my locker, I see him approaching from the front of the station. Since I last saw him, I've been questioning my sexuality more, with Hen's guidance, of course.

I didn't tell Hen about the kiss, but I did tell Maddie. I needed to tell someone that it happened and I knew my sister wouldn't tell anyone.

She was absolutely shocked, but at the same time, not. Especially given the context of it. I haven't told her that I've been questioning these feelings that I've been having. He approaches and stops at his locker.

"Buck." He says with a nod and I do the same back. There is a certain tension between the two of us right now, even though we both agreed it wouldn't change anything.

The Los Angeles heat pours through the entryway and makes the whole station feel muggy, as if everything is sticking together.

We finish getting ready for our shift and head upstairs to the meeting area. Bobby is busy making lunch for everyone, which only increases the heat in the station. Good god, it has to be at least one hundred right now, right?

Bobby approaches the table, "All right everyone, the heat is strong today. With the sun, it's supposed to hit at least 100 today, with the potential high being 109. I need all of you to stay properly hydrated and make sure we pack extra IV bags in the truck. I have a feeling we'll be dealing with a lot of dehydration cases today."

Everyone nods, "Also, I want to introduce an incoming transfer. She's a paramedic from Seattle. Everyone, this is Hannah Smiths."

A girl with short brown hair steps forward and smiles. She's tall and has a thin, but muscular frame. Her eyes glow in the warm sunlight coming through the overhead window.

"I'm excited to be joining the 118. I've been working as a paramedic for six year and I transferred here to be closer to my parents." She stands there awkwardly. Then it clicks. She's familiar to me for a reason.

The girl I hooked up with and called her by the wrong name. Good god. There's no way that she's working here. Out of the more than three million people in Los Angeles, Bobby just so happens to hire the girl I drunkenly hook up with at a bar. Our eyes lock and the minute they do, her face falls slightly, but she corrects it even quicker and changes her entire demeanor. Straightening her shoulders, tensing her body.

Hen notices, and as we break apart, she approaches, "What was that about?"

I pull her to the side, "Do you remember how I hooked up with a girl when I started questioning my sexuality?"

Truthfully, I don't remember whether or not I told Hen that part, but she'll understand. I think.

"You mentioned it, but nothing else. Why?"

"It was Hannah. We met at a club." I tell her quietly and her eyes widen.

Hen processes this information for a moment, then she thinks to herself for a moment, "This could be bad, but only if you let it be. You were drunk, right?"

I nod.

"Then be straight forward and tell her that, but that you don't want it to affect your work." Hen replies and I nod, trying to make it sound right in my head, but all I can here is the potential fight in my head.