chapter twenty seven: a broken man

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN
a broken man

Henrik pressed his lips firmly on mine and we backed into our motel room. Despite there being plenty of rooms available, none of my mates liked the idea of me having a room to myself. Despite having grumbled at their protectiveness, I 100% agreed. There was no way I was going to sleep alone in a seedy motel next the highway. Plus, rooming with Henrik had its perks.

Henrik slammed the door behind us with his foot as his lips trailed down my throat. He hadn't shaved for a few days and I loved the feel of his stubble on my skin. I let out a breathy moan as I tugged on his hair, a silent plea for more.

It seemed that our scheming had gotten us worked up.

Henrik pulled away and I let out a groan of protest. I attempted to pull him back to me and he jumped away from my reaching arms. I pouted and he gave me a cocky grin.

"As much as I'd love to continue, I don't think either of us want to lose our virginities in the same place that people contract STDs." Henrik said, grimacing down at a suspicious stain on the duvet.

"Fair enough," I shrugged, "Plus, the walls are thin here and we have a Mikaelson brother on each side of our room."

"Shit, I forgot about that." Henrik said, looking adorably alarmed, "Do you think that they heard all of that?"

"I can confirm that we did!" Klaus shouted from the other side of the wall and Henrik's cheeks flushed.

"Well, on that note, I'm going to go have a shower." Henrik said, darting to the bathroom as I chuckled at him.

After the bathroom door closed and I heard the shower turn on, I began to pace around the small room, thinking about tonight. The plan was simple but I prayed that it would work. I also prayed that in freeing my other mates, Klaus would stop acting like an asshole. I missed the man I first met before everything became complicated.

An hour later, Henrik and I sat on the bed as we looked out the window. Since magically soundproofing the room would be suspicious, we talked about everything apart from our plans tonight, but our eyes would dart to each other knowingly every time we heard a car pull up at the motel.

"Remember the night you found me?" I found myself bring up as Henrik stoked a finger idly against my leg through the fabric of my trousers. Henrik straightened as his gaze flew to mine. We didn't talk about that day often.

"I remember finding a frostbitten girl who became my everything." Henrik said, nodding softly.

"I was just thinking about everything that happened before that day," I began with a shrug, "I hate what happened to me and I don't know if I'll ever be able to fully move on. But maybe I can learn to accept it? Maybe it was worth all that pain a fear because it led me to you?"

Henrik blinked back tears as he gave me a soft smile. He didn't close the gap between our bodies, knowing that touch did the opposite of help me when I spoke of my past. It was his presence that soothed me, the kind of trust that only time and love could build.

"I hate that we met under those circumstances but I'm so grateful that I found you, Morgana." Henrik told me as he gently tucked a stray curl behind my ear.

Before I could answer, we heard a vehicle turn into the motel car park and our heads turned to the window. A slow smile stretched across Henrik's face as his eyes sparkled. This must be the lorry that he saw following us.

I crept over to the window to get a closer look. I watched the driver get out and my eyes widened as Klaus walked over to him and gave his hand a firm shake. I held my breath as I watched them converse. I scurried away from the window when Klaus turned and made his way back to his motel room.