Chapter 10: Monstadt

After a long walk Kitayuu and Bennet finally arrived at Monstadt. The city was situated on a small island above a shallow body of water. There was a bridge that connected the island to the mainland. As the boys entered the bridge they were greeted with something unexpected.

"Stop!"

Two knights stood before the bridge blocking Kitayuu and Bennet's way.

Bennet: "I have my travel permit don't worry and so does he."

The knight gave a dirty look towards Kitayuu and pointed at him. "The knights of Favonius shall not let someone like him enter!"

"What! He did nothing wrong!"

"He is a danger and we can not risk the lives of innocent people by having him freely roam in Monstadt!" After trying to negotiate for a few minutes it seemed like they were getting nowhere. Bennet kicked a rock in frustration, "Drat! We came all the way here just to get stopped by the guards."

"Who are the knights anyways?" Kitayuu asked

"The Knights of Favonius are a group that protect Monstadt along with Barbatos, the Anemo Archon." Kitayuu looked up at Bennet immediately after hearing his response. "Where is the Anemo Archon now?"

"No one knows... Barbatos left Monstadt after the great Archon war and the rise of the seven. In the stories it says that he went on a journey with Dvalin who is a dragon to explore the rest of the world. Thus that is why Monstadt is known as the nation of freedom."

"Interesting... did he ever return?" Kitayuu asked in response.

"Yeah, Barbatos feared that he would become a tyrant if he remained and ruled Monstadt but around 1500 years ago the upper class took control of Monstadt and oppressed those in the lower class. It is said that he met a slave girl named Vennessa and together they lead a rebellion against the upper class  and formed the Knights of Favonius. Unfortunately as the knights came closer to defeating them the upper class made a contract with Rex Lapis, the Geo Archon and basically sold many things to the nation of Liyue, but even after defeating the upper class, Barbatos still decided to leave Monstadt and has never returned since."

After a few more minutes of waiting Bennet and Kitayuu decided to head back, "Forget it, they won't budge! Sorry I'll figure out something next time." The moment the boys turned around they heard a voice screaming from behind.

"Wait wait!"

They turned back to find a tall blonde women in the same knight armour running towards them.

The two knights stood up attentively and greeted the women, "acting grand m-master Jean what brings you here?" They both said at the same time.

"Just leave these two boys to me, I was informed about the arrival and was meant to collect them. It's just that I was running a little late, been quite busy."

"B-but that's Kita-"

Jean stopped him before he could finish. "Don't worry I have everything under control. If anything happens I'll be responsible." She then signalled the two boys to follow her across the bridge before the knights opened and let them through.

"Alright, welcome to Monstadt and let the Anemo Archon protect you."

Bennet and Kitayuu walked closely behind her. "Sorry about the inconvenience, my sister informed me about your arrival not so long ago and I didn't have time to communicate it with the knights."

Bennet made a surprised face being unaware of what was going on, "Your sister?"

"Yes, Barbara has told me a lot about the both of you." She turned her head around and gave the two of them a little smile