Chapter 3: Acceptance

After waking up and eating breakfast, Kitayuu and Bennet both go outside to get ready for the day. They already see a group of third years training with each other and they couldn't help but admire them. When they are seated for class a tall man with red hair comes in. He had a sword the size of the average human. "My name is Diluc and I'll be the tutor for the first years."

Someone raises their hand. Diluc eyes them and indicates them to talk. "Why are we in a classroom shouldn't we be outside training and you know what?." Diluc gives a small chuckle. "Did you all really think the academy was just a place for you to fool around and use your elements on each other?" Raiden rolls his eyes. "The theory part is just as important as the practical part. That doesn't mean we aren't going to train but you guys need to know about basic elemental reactions."

"Without being informed of these reactions one can get seriously hurt." The class stares as Diluc brings out an information sheet. "These are the 7 elements found in Tayvet and here are all the reactions you can make. Reactions allow you to amplify damage and this is why teamwork is also a core skill we teach here." Bennet nudges Kitayuu "Crazy to think you are capable of using all of these." Diluc goes on "When we start training, I want you all to make a group of 2 or 3 people, each member having a different element and start practicing on training dummies." He then all of a sudden with a serious face says "Dendro, Hydro and Electro users... if you decide to make a group of 3 do not go with each other." A kid raises his hand and asks why. Before Diluc speaks Raiden jumps in "Electro, Hydro and Dendro creates a reaction known as Hyperbloom. If not controlled correctly it can hurt someone badly. He wouldn't have told us if he didn't know it was dangerous you genius." Diluc lets out a sigh "Correct. Anyways now let's head out." Bennet immediately gets on his feet excited.

When arriving outside in the training area, everyone partners up. Kitayuu asks Bennet what reaction he would like to make. Bennet responds "Well let's start off simple, how about you use anemo and I'll use my pyro to create a swirl reaction!" Kitayuu feeling hesitant creates a small tornado. Bennet then unleashes flames from his palm. As soon as the two elements merge a fire tornado is formed leaving both of the boys shocked at the potential they have with these elemental reactions.

"You know" Kitayuu says "I wonder how powerful this hyperbloom reaction is, I'm slightly tempted." "Me too" says Bennet "But not following instructions in this academy can get you in serious trouble." All of a sudden Kitayuu spots Raiden with 2 girls in a group. From the looks of it Raiden seemed to be lashing out against them and Kitayuu decides to investigate further. "Hey where are you going." Bennet says. Kitayuu continues walking to the group and when he gets closer his suspicions are correct. He finds Raiden having an argument with Barbara who was a hydro user and Noelle who was a geo user. Raiden looking extremely annoyed notices Kitayuu. "This is none of your business." Kitayuu asks the girls what was going on. Barbara said "Well Mr son of a god here won't stop yapping about how we are apparently useless and everyone here is below him." Kitayuu looks at Raiden angrily "Get your ego under control!" Raiden smirks "Oh so now you've finally decided to stand up. Listen even though you are special amongst us, you are still the most pathetic." Raiden waves his hand as if he were chasing a fly away. "Hop along now before Diluc sees you disobeying instructions." "No!" Kitayuu replies. Raiden leans over to Kitayuu and whispers "Not my fault your brain isn't developed because it gets fried everytime you use more elements than your body can handle." Kitayuu in anger goes for a right hook to Raiden's face. Raiden lifts a finger and suddenly a strong gush of wind pushes Kitayuu to the ground. "Don't initiate a fight you know you can't win. Tsk" Raiden walks away.

Bennet rushes towards the scene. "You fool I told you it was a bad idea!" Instead of thinking about what just happened Kitayuu starts wandering about something. "Hey guys." Bennet and the girls start listening. "If Raiden is the son of the electro archon why does he have an anemo element?" Barbara gives a reply. "Well in some cases even though your parents have a certain element it doesn't guarantee that you inherit it. For example my sister doesn't have the same element as me. Normally though an archon would choose their child to be their successor." "Wouldn't that mean Raiden can't be the successor to the electro archon?" Bennet replies. Barbara nods, an awkward silence follows as Bennet turns a bit red. Barbara notices this "Anyways we are going to continue practicing." She takes Noelle and quickly walks away. Kitayuu looks at Bennet and a grin forms. "Someone likes her" he says in a teasing way. Bennet becomes shocked from the sudden accusation. "W-what do you mean!?" Kitayuu chuckles "Haha you were blushing, don't worry I won't tell anyone."

Shortly after experimenting with elements everyone returned to class for theory. Many students started slouching and supporting their heads with their palm out of boredom. Whilst everyone was busy with their assigned homework Diluc stands "Alright the day has ended, you have 4 hours of free time but everyone must be back in their dormitories by 8PM and in bed by 10PM." Bennet and Kitayuu go straight to their dormitory to get ahead of homework. During the middle of their homework session Kitayuu brings up the topic about Raiden. "Hey Bennet, do you think Raiden is always grumpy because he can't be the heir of the electro archon." Bennet shrugs "I guess, but anyways I wonder who in the academy is the strongest amongst the first years." Kitayuu thinks for a moment and replies saying it's most likely Raiden. "Well" Bennet says "We will soon find out in 2 weeks as there is usually a practical assessment from what I've heard." Kitayuu looks at Bennet with concern. "Really" He didn't want to embarrass himself in front of everyone assuming that he was the weakest. "Anyways I'm going to sleep." Kitayuu goes to bed early whilst Bennet decides to read a book until lights out.

Very early in the morning when the sun had barely risen, Bennet wakes up and realises Kitayuu isn't anywhere in the dormitory. In panic he quickly rushes out looking for him. He runs around the entire academy and even considered going outside the boundaries. In the distance he could see the large citadel that towers over Tayvet. "I wonder what's up there" he says to himself. After 10 minutes of strolling around he finds Kitayuu on the training grounds continuously punching a tree. He runs towards him "Hey we aren't supposed to be out this early you know and you are going to tire yourself out before class." With bleeding knuckles Kitayuu punches the tree as hard as he could. "I won't come last" Bennet looks at him confused "I won't come last in the practical assessment. Bennet sighs, he looks at Kitayuu worried. After a few moments he decides to speak again "Well if you are going to push yourself this hard then I'm joining you! Every afternoon we can come and train together." Kitayuu looks at Bennet. *He really is a true friend* he thinks to himself.

Suddenly a voice from behind startles them. "Don't mind if we join?" Barbara and Noelle are found walking towards them. "How did you know where we were?" Bennet replies. Barbara giggles "Noelle likes to wake up early and she spotted Kitayuu sneaking out and you rushing out shortly after." You guys are so lucky that it's only us two." They continue walking until they are face to face "So can we join you and improve together?" For a brief second there was an awkward silence. The same as when they first met. Kitayuu smiles "Welcome to the team then" Barbara satisfied with the answer smiles back whilst Noelle stood a bit behind her as she was more of a shy one. Bennet blushing starts talking to them about his training plan. Kitayuu just stands there smiling. *A group that finally accepts me... what more could I ask for*