Epilog

Iveren finally left her father’s homestead. A handful women accompanied her as they camped in settlement close to Zasha’s hamlet.

The bridal train arrived the settlement by evening, having walked close to five kilometers. This is where they would wait for nightfall as it was with their custom.

When it was night, the large procession of women started singing and hailing the new bride as they ushered her into Zasha’s compound. Iveren is immediately taken to the groom’s mother’s hut, Anakaa. The marriage ceremony had begun with the rites of passage.

Zasha’s compound was bustling with activity. Men and women, both young and old, gathered around the open courtyard, chatting excitedly. Drummers and dancers were putting on a performance.

When it was time to tie the couple, in marriage, Tersoo and Iveren were brought before Tersoo’s hut. Iveren held a chicken in her hands while Tersoo stood beside her. It was of significance that both the bride and the groom stood in front of the groom’s hut.

Iveren took the oath to remain with her husband and bear him children, after which she let go of the chicken and both husband and wife competed for the doorway. Iveren ran ahead, beating Tersoo to it as they both scrambled for the doorway.

Bagu caught the chicken that Iveren had released. He stood before Tersoo’s hut, after husband and wife had ran inside, and began to recite the incantation, plucking the chicken’s feathers and thrusting into the thatched roof of the hut, just above the doorway. He plucked more feathers and thrust into the thatch as he blessed the marriage.

When he was done, he handed over the chicken to be slaughtered. A meal was prepared strictly for the couple and Tersoo’s closest relations who were already married. 

The guests that had come to witness the ceremony were not left hungry. Tersoo had earlier arranged for a goat to be slaughtered and a big feast prepared for them. It was not mandatory to entertain guests in this fashion, but Tersoo’s generosity had made it so.

 There were lots of pounded yam to go round. This was followed with drinks. Mbayongu had also come all the way with lots of her special brew of alcohol. 

The drummers and dancers performed till the break of dawn.