Seven: Brawn and treachery

Tersoo was still clearly in the lead when the sun crossed its zenith, bright and warm, heralding the arrival of Iveren, Ape, Mbakese and one other smaller girl, who had been admiring Iveren’s yam pounding prowess.

The Little girl’s admiration had earned her invitation to the farm. Her role was to carry the empty vessels that would be used in serving food, which she gleefully obliged. Anakaa, who was overseeing the procession, brought up the rear.

 A wild roar erupted among the farmers when the convoy was sighted. 

 “Food has arrived here!” Tsav announced, immensely energized.

“Food has arrived o!” Kumeh said excitedly.

Suddenly, everyone became invigorated. The hoes rose higher and faster, cutting, digging and churning up earth. For Tersoo, it was the sight of Iveren, his bride to be. For Venda, he knew that he had a huge stake because a dismal performance would completely ruin his chances.

Anakaa commandeered the procession under the cool shade of the huge tree where they off-loaded the burden of their heads.

 “I greet you all hardworking men o!” Anakaa announced at the top of her voice.

 “We too we greet you,” Tsav responded on behalf of his co-farmers.

The girls stood watching the men at work.

“Who is leading?” Iveren asked.

 Ape, who was leaning over Iveren’s shoulder, pointed out Tersoo.

 “Tersoo is clearly in the lead,” she said.

 This brought much satisfaction to Iveren’s face. She smiled, feeling proud.

 It was then that Tersoo made the mistake that he would regret for a long time to come. Although he would later try to absolve himself with the excuse that he was thirsty and needed a drink. But the real reason, he felt at the back of his mind, had been to show off.

He had already covered more than half the distance, but on noticing Iveren, coupled with the fact that he was leading with a wide margin, Tersoo decided to take a break, and a sip of water from his gourd.

 Leaving the others, Tersoo walked to where he had hung his gourd on the handlebars of his bicycle, and he had to pass close by where the girls were standing.

 “My husband I salute you,” Ape said, snickering and hiding her face behind Iveren who was staring at Tersoo with open adoration.

Tersoo only smiled, concealing the joy he felt in his chest. Unhooking the gourd, he took a long swig, paused, then drank some more. But as soon as he returned to his lead position and picked up his hoe, the tide changed.

Iveren and her two friends walked to the shade of a tree near the finishing line, perhaps in readiness to hail their perceived hero. They were disappointed.

It was then that Venda, who was fast catching up with Tersoo, looked up and caught Iveren’s eye. Her natural beauty was so captivating that he nearly chopped off his big toe with his hoe. 

Slow down old boy, he told himself, or you are going to hurt yourself so bad that your bride is going to right away dislike a disabled farmer, one without a toe. Man, was she a beauty! He cursed himself not having noticed her long before now.

He knew right then that this was the girl he was going to marry, come rain or shine. In the meantime, he had work to do. He suddenly felt revitalized and continued forward with a burst of energy that was not there before now.

Tor noticed Venda as he stared at Iveren.

“Man, you can look!” he said.

Venda cursed himself again as he lifted his hoe and viciously dug into the soil. Tersoo had something coming, he thought with a devilish grin.