Chapter 7

Zein

My life has been black and white, as if I were colour blind. I found no meaning in life and was called a "soft boy" for crying easily in situations that I couldn't handle. Honestly, it neither scares me nor surprises me when something unexpected happens. Kids would often bully me because of my soft figure, saying I looked like a girl.

During my childhood, I've had friends, but I couldn't call them best friends. They're more like just some people who want to be close with me because of my family. I was popular back in elementary school due to my parents being the richest in the town and offering a million dollars in my elementary school. We were rich, and people would act friendly and nice to us. It's very annoying.

I would invite friends over to my house, but the only thing they ask, or the words that come out of their house, is, "How much does this house cost?" The more I invite my friends over, the more annoyance I get.

Living in a luxury house was never a good life to begin with. You couldn't have friends who saw you as yourself. That sees you as an individual, instead of the "son of the millionaire, Mrs. and Mr. Monterusell." Our surnames were quite famous around the town, as we were the only ones with that surname.

I thought maybe my whole life would be like this. Maybe I won't find a person who sees me as me. Someone who sees my soul instead of my character. I lost hope.

Not until I met a girl during PE. class in school. She was one of the bravest and boldest girls I met. It was unfortunate that I met her when she fought one of my classmates and beat the hell out of him. Not to mention, the person she beat up was twice as big as her, but she managed to take him down in just a minute.

The teacher came running in our way to stop the fight, but as I stared at her, I could see her rage deep inside her eyes. I drowned myself in her hazel-brown eyes that shone through the sunlight. Her figure was like a boy figure; her dark, wavy hair looked fluffy; her chubby, bunny cheeks when she gritted her teeth; her slim and pointy nose—she was beautiful.

The teacher held her back instead of the guy who was on the ground with a bleeding nose. I could tell that she was ten times stronger than him, despite her small figure.

I didn't realise that I was staring at her for too long until she glanced at me with her raging eyes targeting me. I flinched and looked surprised as I stepped back and lowered my head. She didn't look like she was about to attack me, but instead it looked like she was embarrassed. I wonder why...

The night came, and my mother told me that she wanted to visit her friend's house and told me to accompany her there because dad was busy with work. I agreed, of course. I can't refuse my mother.

When we arrived at their entrance, their house was simple, yet it was unique. We were greeted by a small child—a young lady with a stern voice. I was surprised to see her again.

"W-welcome," she said with a stutter between her words. She seemed very shy and wouldn't look us in the eyes. I couldn't see her fully, as I was hiding behind my mother's legs.

I was surprised that my mother made a real friend in our neighbourhood. Someone who isn't in for her money.

My attention was focused on the girl while she was minding her own business. Maybe my mother noticed and asked her friend if I could play with her daughter. I was shaking my head, giving her a sign that I didn't want to, but she insisted I befriend her friend's daughter. The nice lady said yes and asked her daughter to invite me to play. She was a bit hesitant at first, but she was friendly.

"Let's play in my room; give your mom and mine a time to talk," she said calmly as she held my hand, pulling me towards her room. She sounded mature when she said those words. It was as if she were in her twenties inside her tiny figure.

I was invited into her room, and by the design of her room, I was not even surprised. It was just simple, like the appearance of the outside of the house. Although there were paintings, paint brushes were by the side of her door. She must be an artist.

We both sat down on the ground with a mini table to place our arms on and a carpet where we could sit and lay down. Her room was neat and ladylike. I almost forgot that she beat up a kid and almost broke his bones earlier this morning.

"May I ask a question?" I said as I looked at her nervously.

"Yeah, sure," she calmly said.

"What made you so angry at the kid earlier in the school? You looked like you were pissed off and almost breaking his bones," I said confidently as I looked at her with no emotion in my face.

Her eyes went from normal to prey's eyes real quick. She looked like she was ready to kill just by using her gaze, and it shivered down my spine. It gave me goosebumps.

"Well, she was harassing my friend, calling her fat and ugly," she said in a calm tone as her eyes went back to normal. "I was pissed off. He did that not only to my friend but to a lot of females in our school, and I couldn't just stand by and watch them get treated badly." She clenched her fist.

"I see," I said as I looked down at my own hands, thinking. That's very cool of her to defend her friends like that. If we were friends, maybe she would defend me like that too. I was lost in my deep thoughts, and I forgot that we were having a conversation.

"Earth to you!" she said as she waved her hand in front of my face.

"Are you good?" she asks after I come back to my senses. It was the first time that someone asked me if I was doing okay or good. I felt a smile on my face.

"Yeah," I said.

"You look like you get bullied a lot," she randomly said, which caught me off guard.

"I was right," she said as she raised an eyebrow.

"Uhm..." I said, looking for words to deny that phrase.

"Why didn't you tell your mom about it?" She said.

"I don't want to trouble her, and it's my problem," I said shyly, my voice getting quieter.

"Fine, then I'll be your bodyguard from now on," she confidently said, which caught me off guard. What is she saying? Why would she suddenly offer help?

"Since your mom and my mom are friends, then why don't we become friends too? What's your name?" she said as a wide smile grew on her face. Why would she want to be my friend?

"Okay, I'm Zein," I simply said as I lowered my head in shyness, looking at the ground.

"I'm Kyrrha. Nice to meet you, Zein," she said softly with a beautiful smile on her face.

I slowly moved my eyes and was on her, staring at her angelic appearance, which gives off positive vibes. She's beautiful when she smiles.

I'm happy to be friends with someone who wants to protect me. No, I'm glad to be her friend.

Seeing her bright and positive expression makes me feel at ease. It's like giving me comfort without knowing it.

I'm looking forward to our friendship in the future, Kyrrha.