Chapter One: A Happy Day In Hell

Emily closed the book with a sigh, and gently laid it down on the cushion next to her. She stared at the wrecked skyline of the Pride Ring from her window, and felt a flicker of guilt and resolve in her chest.

“I’ll make you proud dad.” She whispered, desperately hoping that it was true. She wanted nothing more than to actually accomplish what her father had wanted.

She’d made a leap in the right direction. Emily had finally officially opened her hotel that aimed to redeem sinners five days ago. It hadn’t been close to ready earlier in the week, especially since their first resident, Valentino, seemed prone to getting himself into situations. He didn’t seem to grasp that what he did reflected on the hotel now, and while she tried to hide it, it irritated Emily to no end. It had almost cost them everything.

It had only been last week that she, Lute and Valentino had returned to the hotel after a failure of an interview that had only been a failure in the first place because of Valentino’s actions. It had been fine in the end, however. The Video Demon himself, Vox, had appeared on their doorstep, and offered to help them with their project. Thanks to Vox, they opened two days later, and now had Velvette, a bartender, and Papermint, Vox’s assistant and cleaner. 

As she reflected on the events of that day, Emily couldn’t help but feel a twisting in her chest. If she failed…if she didn’t get Heaven's approval or attention then they would all be in danger, and even though it had only been a week, she’d really come to care for the others. Shaking her head to clear these thoughts away, Emily focused back on what was currently happening around her just in time to see Lute come in. 

“Em?” Lute asked gently, coming over and sitting next to her Emily jumped.

“FUCK!” She relaxed when she realized it was Lute. “Did you hear all of that?”

“Yeah, I was over there.” Lute pointed to the doorway with a wry and concerned look on her face.

“Shit…sorry. I just get really strung up after the exterminations. You know that. The story…it helps.” Emily reminded her. Lute took her hand and gave it a squeeze.

“Yeah I know.” Lute admitted. “Ever since your dad left-” 

“Let’s not talk about that right now. Please.” Emily interrupted, feeling a flash of pain at the mention of her dad. She missed him a lot. She didn’t think she’d ever get over his disappearance. 

“Right. I’m sorry. I’m just worried about you.” Lute confessed. Emily met her gaze and saw the truth in her words. Lute looked uncharacteristically worried. 

“I’m fine, Lute. Besides, we need to go down and see what advertisement Vox made.” Emily told her with a weary look. 

“Right. Him.” Lute nearly snarled the words. Emily stood up and gave Lute a warning look.

“So far Vox has been nothing but helpful, Lute. Please try and be nice to him.” Emily reminded Lute as they began to walk down the hall to the stairs.

“Yeah only so he can trick you into trusting him. He’s the Video Demon for a reason, babe.” Lute told her. 

“I don’t think he’s going to do anything, Lute. If he did, you and I would stop him before anything could happen.” Emily tried to reassure her girlfriend. Lute didn’t respond as they finally made it to the lobby, where Vox was waiting for them, radio in tow.

“Hello girls! Ready to listen to the ad?” Vox asked, smiling.

“Can’t wait!” Emily sat down and clapped her hands in anticipation. 

“Okay! Here it is.” Vox hit play and a proud look filled his face as his own voice started flooding the room. “Are you tired of violence and debauchery? Are you looking to make a futile attempt at getting to the pearly gates? Then look no further than the Hazbin Hotel, funded and run by Hell's own Princess Emily! Watch as she tries to ignore her own issues by attempting to fix yours!” Vox’s laugh sounded. “Here, we offer fun things such as pest control, custom rooms, and the damn ugliest lobby space I’ve ever seen! Wow! All of this and more at the Hazbin Hotel! Your final futile attempt at redemption starts here!” The ad stopped and Vox turned off the radio.