Chapter 27: Night Cap

Ara: I think I made a mistake

Leila: About what?

Ara: Coming back here

Everly: Why?

Everly: Did something happen???

***

By the time I start working for Apollo, I think I would probably end up being an alcoholic.

But what do I do when I can't sleep? Even though my body felt so tired, my mind just kept on running a mile a minute. Maybe it's because I haven't seen someone's truck get parked in its usual spot.

Or maybe it's because I haven't heard the front door open and close, followed by the sound of a set of keys dropping at its usual spot, then the sound of the bedroom door next to mine opening and closing.

So even though it was already 2 AM, I got out of bed and left my room. Just one bottle of fresh, cold beer, maybe it will help me sleep tonight.

I adjusted the knitted cardigan I wore on top of my silk sleep gown. I only wore it so Manang Jocelyn or Angelica wouldn't get scandalized in case I bumped into them in the kitchen.

Thanks to the night light Manang turns on every night, I walked around the farmhouse without bumping into any pieces of furniture or anything breakable.

I was about to reach the kitchen when I heard Apollo's truck drive down to park at his spot, so I booked it towards the fridge and opened it—not wanting for him to catch me getting another alcoholic drink just days after we drank at the boardwalk.

"Shit, shit, shit!" I whisper-shout as I looked inside the fridge and saw the beer bottles at the back. Like further back and hidden by the leftover dishes, water jugs, and jars of fruits. I pushed them around carefully and gingerly took one bottle out.

But it's not a screwcap... so I have to find a bottle opener.

I placed the bottle on the kitchen counter and walked into the kitchen further.

"Where the fuck is the bottle opener?!" I hissed as I frantically opened the kitchen drawers.

Then I froze when I heard the jingling of keys and the tell-tale sound of a door unlocking and opening. I prayed that he would go straight to his room, and not look at the kitchen. Please, I don't want to hear how good his date went that he went home at this hour!

"Is anyone awake? May tao ba diyan sa kitchen?" his voice rang out the whole house.

Shit.

I squeezed my eyes shut in frustration and held off making a sound. But then, I remembered I'm a full-fledged adult now, I pulled up my big girl panties and answered back.

"It's me," I responded. "Just looking for something to drink!"

I hoped that was enough for him but of course, Apollo walked up to the kitchen looking disheveled and hot. But still disheveled.

He didn't look like he just came from a first date. He looked like he just come from a wild hookup with the way his hair was so messy. His white dress shirt was untucked and his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows.

I couldn't help but comment, "Someone got lucky tonight."

Fuck, Sahara. A filter would've been helpful at this moment.

Wincing, and tried to recover, "Okay, that was inappropriate to say–"

"No, it's fine," he answered chuckling. "I went home around 10 PM. But I went straight back to my office to finish some paperwork."