4.

"Fawn, we could really, really use your help. We know you sometimes struggle, especially with things like this, but can you try. For the sake of these victims?" Sheriff Newman spoke as, hesitantly, I walked into the backroom of the police station.

I was confused, a pit forming in my stomach as I sat down. Slowly, slower until I finally hit the seat. My eyes seemingly couldn't focus on the sheriff, and the page in his hand, which was then given to me. Security footage from last year's massacre.

"We're still talking about this?" I quietly muttered. I didnt necessarily mean for anyone to hear it, the breath catching in my throat as I earned a response.

"We've exhausted every resource to identify people," Pete, the local detective, also spoke up, "It occured to us with the recent events that anyone involved could be in serious danger."

"...Like... us?" My breath caught in my throat once more. It was dry, my knee bouncing nervously. I turned, looking out the window behind me, into the hall to see Ryan sitting there, scrolling through his phone. Probably TikTok or something, knowing him.

"Jessica's father contacted us about all of these Instagram posts these last few weeks," Newman spoke.

"Yeah... And?" My eyes switched nervously from one man to the other, to my fidgeting hands holding the security photos.

"Detective, could you give us a moment?" Newman stood up. Pete silently nodded and walked out of the room. Ryan noticed his exit, his eyes locking onto mine for a moment before I broke the contact and turned back to Newman. He sat in the chair opposite me. "Fawn.... I don't know what happened with those cameras last year. We talked to Jessica's dad. He doesn't either."

"Neither do I," I protested.

"I know that. And, look, I understand that these past few years have been extremely difficult for you. And, we understand that you struggle with Autism, is that correct?" Newman leaned forward. I simply nodded. I didn't know how else to react, in all honesty. "Look, sweetheart. If you know something. Anything. Just say it."

"Seriously! I- I don't know anything!" I scooted back from Newman's desk as he leaned forward. I silently gulped, feeling my face getting hot as the nerves caught up to me.

"I'm not saying that you do. In all honesty, I think you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, please don't hesitate to speak up. This is life and death."

~°•~°•

"How'd it go in there? Why you look so shaken up?" Ryan asked as we stepped down the stairs of the police station. He held a hand to my chest, stopping me as our eyes landed on Jessica, who was just interviewed as well, and Bobby. The pair walked off together. Ryan and I turned to each other, confused. Then returned down the stairs, to his car.

"So... Uhm..." I tried to start the conversation, failing at thinking of something to say in the first place.

"What? What's going on? Fawn... I'm worried about you," Ryan turned to me, his chocolate brown eyes boring into mine. My throat was so dry it hurts to spoke. Like I was choking on a golfball as I tried to say something. Anything.

"He was just... He said it's life or death now. Jess showed him those Instagram posts," I fought the words out of my mouth. They jumbled and spat and fell out. Then I fell silent again.

"Oh..." he began driving, resting his veiny hand on my thigh. "Well... I'm not letting anything happen to you. Maybe Bobby and his weird ass hairline, but not my girl. I promise you." I couldn't help but giggle at that as Ryan continued. "New pizza joint just opened, by the way. You hungry?"

"Well, duh, I'm hungry!"

~°•~°•

"Hey, Jess, long time no talk!" I greeted into my phone. I sat on a stool in front of the bathroom mirror, taking off my makeup after a date with Ryan, and accidentally also Scott.

"Hey! Look, I'm so sorry to ask you so late. I know today's been stressful enough with all these statements, but could you please help me with something?" Jessica spoke into her own phone. Wiping off the last of my lipstick, I gave a reply.

"$30. No, I'm kidding. What's up?" I tried to joke after the bitter day, honestly not doing so well.

"So... I completely lied to Newman. After the accident, Kathleen went on and on about lawsuits and the loss of business snd publicity and money, all this brainrotted bullshit. Uhm... She deleted all of the footage from that night from the cameras."

"What!? Seriously? You knew the whole fucking time?"

"I didn't think things would get this far. Honestly, I... I didn't! But... What if there is something we can do?"

I let out a soft sigh, "Jess, that footage is probably long gone by now."

"I know it's not. My dad has a backup. It saves footage no matter what for a year. Trust me, I've seen some shit. You're, like, a tech whiz. Plus, dad trusts you. Tomorrow night, I want you to sneak into his office and get the footage. I'll stand lookout."

"Fuck," I sighed, leaning back. I ran a hand through my hair, considering the latter before deciding my answer. "What time?"