And Yet I Try

Yo, homies!

I'm sorry, I will never do that again.

Soooooo, I was really wondering...how many people are sticking with this story? Like, it's crazy to think that people are reading this and I'm not just publishing chapters because I'm a nerd.

Maybe comment so I can know? You don't have to, I'm just curious.

Anyway, here's the next chapie!

Chapter. It's a chapter.

Disclaimer: Fairy Tail is not mine and it never will be. Sucks, man.

Also, spoopy spoilers from the anime.

Okie dokie let's go!

----------------------------------------------

Juniper's POV

Okay, Juniper, don't freak out.

I mean, I only just agreed to fight a powerful looking guy who might kill me. And, better yet, I still don't even fully know how to use my powers.

Yeah, I got this.

The man with Mystogan's face got into a fighting stance. I went to read his emotions, but every time I tried, some sort of force would block me and I couldn't tell what he was going to do.

"You're looking scared. Do you want to give up now? It's your only chance," he taunted.

I stepped into what seemed like a comfortable fighting stance.

"N-no way."

The man chuckled, "Wrong choice."

That's when it happened. A bright light blinded my eyes and I felt a sharp pain in my gut. Next thing I know was that I was against the wall, spitting out blood.

"Now, now. That wasn't even close to my best," the man smiled.

I slumped down to the floor, my lungs gasping for air. It seemed as though a couple of my ribs had broken.

Over one punch.

What have I gotten myself into? There's no chance that I'm strong enough to beat this mad man.

I'm going to die, aren't I?

The man stepped closer, "What? Have you given up? How disappointing. I expected much more out of you. Or have you accepted death? That's understandable. I guess Erza will be making herself at home in the Tower."

Ignoring the situation I was in, ignoring the excruciating pain, I calmed myself down. As if by instinct, I sucked in the air. No, it was more than air. It tasted like vanilla. Was I...eating it?

Suddenly, the pain in my sides reduced by a large amount and my lungs began to work more efficiently. There was a strange and strong aura forming around me. I felt as though the man's punch barely left a scratch.

So, I stood up.

"Are you really that stubborn? You're in no shape to keep on fighting," the man raised his eyebrow.

I laughed, "Don't make the mistake of underestimating me."

"Oh, lookie here. The girl isn't a weak as she looks. But is she strong enough?"

I hope so.

I closed my eyes and focused my breathing. The pins and needles on my back started up again and I could feel weight on my shoulder blades.

"Little party tricks aren't going to save you," the blue haired man taunted.

The light from before shone brightly once again as he got ready for his second punch. But this time, I was ready. The wings that had finished forming on my back flew me up the ceiling. The man skidded to a halt.