CHAPTER 16

It was time for the arrival of Sitişah Sultan. I was nervous, but I knew that if I played my cards right both Sitişah, Neylan, and Mihrisah would be gone forever. Now I know Sitişah never saw me before, nor I her, so I needed to get a good impression of myself to her.

From what my mother periodically said over the years, Neylan and Sitişah weren't best of friends as sisters, but united and tried to send Mühnaz Hatun 2 decades ago. That wasn't successful, but I was pretty sure Mihrişah was their latest bait for my father Sultan Ahmed.

We all met in the front of the palace and waited. My father the Sultan, my mother Haseki Ayşe Sultan, me, Gülbahar, Neylan, Mustafa Pasha, and aunt Neylan's husband Davut Pasha.

A carriage rode in and the horses skidded to a stop as a young woman hopped out and opened the curtains for her mistress.

Sitişah Sultan climbed out and approached our family as she bowed. She watched us all intently with her eyes as she took everything in. Topkapi, the place she once called home. She was back again.

 She was back again

"My Sultan." She kissed my father's hand. "It's been a long time, dear brother."

"It has been, sister Sitişah. We expected your arrival with great pleasure." Sitişah Sultan nodded as she approached my mother.

"Ayse Sultana, you are very beautiful." My mother was surprised at her kindness.

"Thank you, you too Sultana Sitişah. Pleased by your arrival." Next she approached me. She was briefly confused, but then must have known from some letters of sorts.

"You must be Fidan, what a beauty, right Neylan?" aunt Neylan rolled her eyes as she nodded. Sitişah smiled at me as I returned the gesture. She rubbed my shoulder kindly and moved onto Gülbahar and then hugging Neylan.

I exchanged anxious looks with my mother as my father began leading the way back to the palace, followed closely by the rest of us ladies.

"You better not try any tricks Ayşe," Aunt Neylan hissed, "Sitişah is here now."

"Neither should you, Sultana Neylan." My mother retorted as she looped her right arm with my left, and pulled me forward ahead of my vicious aunt. When I looked back, aunt Neylan was whispering something to Gülbahar, but I couldn't quite make out what she was saying. 

As we walked back to the palace as a family, I couldn't shake off the feeling of impending tension. Sitişah Sultan's arrival added another layer of complexity to the already intricate dynamics of the harem. I knew that her presence could potentially shift the balance of power, and I was determined to use this opportunity to our advantage, as I planned out when my father the Sultan invited her back here. I had two months to complete my plan, or my fate would likely end with Mustafa Pasha. But that was another issue woven into the big main plan.

Once inside the palace, we settled in the grand hall of the harem where refreshments were served. Sitişah Sultan sat gracefully, her demeanor composed yet observant. I could feel her eyes lingering on me from time to time, and I made sure to maintain an air of confidence despite my inner turmoil.

As the evening progressed, conversations flowed, but I remained vigilant, observing the interactions between Sitişah Sultan, my mother, and aunt Neylan. It was clear that tensions simmered beneath the surface, concealed behind polite smiles and courteous exchanges.

I seized the opportunity to engage Sitişah Sultan in conversation, hoping to glean insights that could aid our cause. "Sultana Sitişah," I began, approaching her with a respectful nod, "I'm honored to finally meet you. Your return to Topkapi has been long-awaited."

Sitişah Sultan regarded me with a thoughtful expression, her gaze piercing yet unreadable. "Thank you, Fidan," she replied, her tone measured. "It was nice you requested for me to come and help celebrate your birthday. I must admit, I've heard much about you and your family from my dear brother and sister."

I suppressed a flicker of unease, maintaining a composed facade. "I hope you find your return to Topkapi to be a pleasant one," I said diplomatically, careful not to betray any hint of apprehension.

Sitişah Sultan's lips curved into a faint smile. "Indeed, it is a homecoming of sorts," she remarked, her eyes wandering around the grand hall. "But I sense that much has changed since my departure."

I nodded in agreement, sensing an opportunity to subtly gauge her stance on the current state of affairs within the harem. "Yes, the harem has seen its share of changes and challenges," I admitted, choosing my words carefully. "But with your presence, perhaps we can strive for a new era of unity and harmony."

Oops, that sounded a bit sarcastic. But my aunt didn't seem to notice, but rather in a sense keep up the act.

Sitişah Sultan regarded me with a keen gaze, her expression inscrutable. "Unity and harmony," she repeated thoughtfully. "Indeed, those are noble aspirations. But achieving them requires trust and cooperation among all members of the harem."

I sensed a veiled warning in her words, a subtle reminder of the precarious balance of power within the palace walls. "Of course, Sultana Sitişah," I replied with a nod, concealing my growing unease. "We must all work together for the greater good of the empire."

As the evening wore on, I remained vigilant, mindful of every interaction and exchange taking place around me. Sitişah Sultan's presence loomed large, casting a shadow of uncertainty over the harem. But I refused to let fear paralyze me. Instead, I resolved to navigate the intricate web of politics and intrigue with caution and cunning, determined to protect my family and secure our position within the palace walls.

My game plan is as follows,

Eliminate Mihrişah as she can be accused of betraying the dynasty,

and she was supported by aunt Neylan and aunt Sitişah, therefore they were in trouble as well,

and Mustafa Pasha was to be accused of a treacherous deed or in some other way eliminated.

My plans weren't too ambitious, I resolved, but rather as part of my duty to the dynasty.