Chapter 4

Astrophel did not return the rest of the day. No one came into my room. Dinner was magicked in for me and I destroyed that too.

As night descended, I curled up in front of the large window, hugging my knees to my chest as I watched the winter-covered city come alight. Lights danced in the snow, angels and seraphim wandering the streets. I imagined the sounds of them laughing, a woman whispering romantic words to her lover, a man making lewd comments to his partner and hurrying to their bed.

I was torturing myself. But I couldn't look away. I had tasted freedom and the ache for it was almost unbearable.

Tattered wallpaper mocked me, birds ripped in half. I had tried breaking the window again but my cage was unbreakable.

Magic caressed my legs and a stack of books suddenly appeared next to me, a note placed on top of them.

Theis tells me you like to read romance. Maybe they'll help pass the time.

I hesitated. I couldn't trust Astrophel. I couldn't trust any of the seraphim. And yet, I picked up the first book, flipping through it. Astrophel had even been kind enough to get them in a language I could read.

I lost myself in the romantic endeavors of a wealthy socialite, the lights of the city in the distance my only companion. And for a few hours, I felt a little less alone.

***

When I woke, I was still curled up by the window, my face smooshed against it. A blanket was wrapped around me, one I knew I hadn't placed there.

Magic filled the room, my destruction being cleaned up and everything repaired. Astrophel leaned against the fireplace, arms crossed.

"You do realize this wastes my magic right? I still have poison to get out of you."

I stretched the ache in my back, tossing the book I had fallen asleep reading aside. "I don't like being locked up," I mumbled, rubbing the last of the sleep from my eyes.

"I can't exactly have a devil running around my realm," Astrophel said, crossing the room and retrieving the book. His fingers ran over it tenderly. "Did you...enjoy these."

"Your books are terrible."

Astrophel raised a brow, taken aback.

"They end right before the good part. I mean, we got one little kiss then it's 'It was a night of bliss.'" I scoffed, getting to my feet and raising my arms over my head as I stretched again. "Not even a mention of how well endowed the gentleman is."

"Do you need to read about sex?" Astrophel asked.

"When I'm not having it, yes."

He huffed, setting the book on the table. "Surely you have an imagination, Cassandra. Can you not fantasize what happens?"

"That sounds utterly boring."

"You did a good job of it yesterday."

My cheeks heated. "That's different."

"Is it? At least you didn't defile my books, too."

He turned his back and walked to the couch where a large breakfast spread was laid out.

"Thank you," I said, following him. He paused, glancing over his shoulder. "For the books. They did help."

He nodded. The door opened and servants scurried in, including Maion. She hovered by the door, watching us and Astrophel sat down, stretching out his long legs. "There's not much poison left. Unfortunately it's in some very...tender areas."