chapter 29

“Hi Erica can I call you back I’m on the line with the boss?”

“The boss?” Ask Erica feigning surprise. “Wait you don’t mean the boss.”

“Of course not I mean the one pretending to be one.”

“I’m confused who do you mean?”

“I’m talking about Derek of course.”

“Isn’t he the boss?”

“Erica you work in a butchers shop, why because well.  I don’t know why Jamie put you there.  You’re a low level employee and I indulge you when you pretend you’re not. Micheal is the boss not Derek.”

“I’m sorry,” she sounds contrite. Derek had to admit her acting was very good.

“I know you’ve been working in a diner remember.”

“England doesn't have a diner brother why would I work in one?”

“I have my spies everywhere so I know you’ve been in California.”

“I’m sorry big brother I need to go.  My boss is yelling for me to get back to the counter and serve customers,” she quickly ends the call.

“That was, wait, what! what did I just witness?” She starts to hyperventilate.

Derek rubs her back, “Breath Erica.”

She takes deep breaths in and out as Derek suggested, “Now I understand why people didn’t know the secret before. By people I mean me and the other people in the family that knows. He didn’t make any sense just now, I grew up in California he knows that.  Your phone is still on a call with him boss.”

“I’m very much aware of that very fact Erica. I’ve placed him on hold for a particular reason.”

“Jordan should’ve known my history including the fact I grew up in America.

“Yet he’s acting like he genuinely didn’t know that. I’m curious, when did you last saw him?”

“I moved back to America when you did and he’s always had some excuse why he couldn’t see me.”

Derek’s interest was peaked, “So if you saw him now would you know what he looked like?”

“Of course he’s my brother.”

“He said he went to Brown University I know that’s a lie. He went to Oxford University.”

“Are you saying what I think you’re saying, that, that he isn’t my brother?”

“Do you have recent photos of him Erica?”

She goes through her mobile, “Here is one of him and my mum together.”

Derek looks at the photo of the tall man with dark hair and eyes.

“Ask him to send a photo of the two of you together for a scrap book you’re making for your mother. Then ask him to video call you when you’re in a secure location and take a picture of him.”

“Will do boss now I have to try and find my actual brother. “

“Don’t worry Erica we will find your brother and remember he’s never met me so if he starts talking about me let me know. Try to get a hold of his phone and download as much of it as you can.”

“How can you still trust me boss?”

“Why did Jamie punish you Erica?”

“Because I told him I thought he was being reckless in telling other family members the secret.”

“Are you saying despite him telling you such a big secret you didn’t think telling other people was good?”

“I know that the madman in Denmark knew the secret sir and look what he did. I told Jamie to kill the president who told the danish prime minister about us. He didn’t want to for some reason. I never figured out the reason.”

“Do you know if Jamie was dating anyone?”  Ask Derek.

“Yes he was, a doctor that Jordan introduced him to.  I didn’t trust that beaded eye cow for one second. She clearly had an ulterior motive for dating him. He was very vulnerable and his accident would’ve been fresh in his mind.  He was easy picking for the vultures and she was definitely one.  Her expensive clothes didn’t fool me for one second. I checked her out she was a doctor and he forbade me to tell his family about her. He even bought her an apartment in Soho.”

Derek was floored with this new information Jamie had a relationship his family knew nothing about. Not only that but she was a kept woman as well.”

“Do you know if he bought her to his house?” Ask Derek.

“Well I don’t technically know where he lived so I can’t say for sure. I do know that on the day he died he broke up with her.”

“What did she look like his girlfriend’s I mean. Describe her to me,” says Derek.

“I can do better than that I have a picture of the skank.”

Erica shows Derek a photograph of Doctor Rawlings, “What was her name Erica?” Ask Derek.

“Sharon Miler, she said she was from Texas.”

“Well she lied that’s the doctor your brother put in charge of the hosptial. You want to know why I trust you despite everything you just learned.”

“Why?” Ask Erica.

“Your brother is missing and we don’t know if he’s dead or alive. You asked the fake one to send you some photos and he still hasn’t yet. That’s why I trust you that and when I didn’t truly know who I was. You took care of me in California. You were a very good friend to me. And as your friend I know you want justice for your brother as much as I do.”

She hugs him, “Thank you for trusting me. Promise me I get to kill the fake Jordan okay.”

“That’s a promise.”

“Good the prime minster should be here by now.”

“Let the weasel in if he’s waiting outside the building.”