Confessions

"You can't come with me," Douxie said quietly. He was leaning on the doorframe, one arm curled around his bandaged torso. "I think you know why."

Maia sighed, sinking down onto Jim's bed. "I know."

"And you also know why I have to leave?"

She smoothed her hands over the blankets. "These are much nicer than the ones back home."

"Mmm, and we're lucky Jim wanted to stay over at Toby's." He gave her a pointed look. "But you're changing the subject."

"I was hoping you wouldn't notice."

"Well, I did." He chuckled softly. "I'll take the floor."

"No." Maia patted the mattress beside her. "You're staying here with me. Gods forbid I let you freeze to death down there."

"Wha—I won't freeze." He pointed to a pile of blankets Barbara had generously stashed in a corner for them both. "I'll be warm...ish."

"And that 'ish' is exactly why I'm not letting you sleep there." She motioned him forward. "Come on. Unless you're afraid of me?"

"I'm not afraid of you," he said incredulously as he moved over and sat next to her. "Why would you think that?"

Maia grinned and tapped his nose. "I changed the subject."

Douxie opened his mouth and paused for a moment, before laughing. "You've always managed to do that! One of these days, you're going to teach me how."

"One day," she agreed. "But not today."

"No...not today." He adjusted the bandages wrapped around his palms. "We haven't really had a chance to talk since we, uh..."

"Found each other," she offered.

"Yeah. Since we found each other." He glanced at her, then eased himself back onto the mattress, patting the small space beside him as an invitation.

"Thought you were afraid," Maia teased, lying next to him. She tensed up as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, but relaxed as he started talking.

"I'm not afraid of you, Maia," he said. "And I'm not leaving you behind because I think you'd be too much...effort. Jim's amulet is gone, Arcadia doesn't have a Trollhunter anymore. I'm counting on you to keep them safe."

"Oh."

"And also because Merlin told me to."

"Well, that is so much more reassuring."

"I mean it. He...he cared for you. So did Morgana."

Maia glanced at him. "Is that when you saw them? When you died?"

"Yeah." He smiled. "It's not an experience I recommend, by the way. But yes, they were there."

She sighed. "I'm glad you're not dead, Doux. I don't know what I would have done if you had died."

"And let's hope it'll never come to that." Douxie turned to her. "Can I...tell you something?"

Maia raised an eyebrow. "Is that not what we've been doing?"

"No, not like that. Something personal." He shrugged, then grimaced in pain. "I've only ever told Archie about this."

"Of course."

His hand found hers and held it tightly. "Maia...I really like you. Like...I like you. I don't think I've felt this way for anyone else before and...O-of course, I get it if you don't feel the same, I mean, you're a princess and I'm just a wizard, but I wanted you to know—"

Maia put a finger on his lips. "You know, I was under the impression that you were smart."

"What?"

"And I didn't know you were this dense and so bright at the same time."

"I-I don't get it. Am I missing something?"

Maia sat up and sighed. "You are such an idiot."

"Why are you insulting me?" he asked. "What am I missing?"

"I love you too," she said. "And I don't care that you aren't noble. Or that you aren't smart."

Douxie sat up and gave her a nervous smile. "Really?"

"Yes really."

He grinned. "Oh, brilliant. This is...Mordrax's Miracles, this is amazing! I..." He cleared his throat and gave her a smug grin. "It was my charming personality, wasn't it? It definitely was, I knew it."

"Now, now. No need to get all cocky about it," Maia said, though she was sporting an even wider smile. "You're an idiot, Hisirdoux, but you're my idiot."

He chuckled softly. "Very kind of you, Princess."

"You're very welcome, my wizard."

"I thought I was your idiot," he said, and she noticed his gaze flicked down to her mouth.

"Mmm, well...nobody said you can't be both." And then impulsively, she kissed him. It was short and sweet, and her face felt like it was on fire when she moved back. "Um...I should go see if Jim is done with dinner."

Douxie only nodded, shuffling over as Maia moved off the bed and hurried to the kitchen. Oh, gods. What was I thinking?

"Jeez, you're red," Jim commented as soon as he saw her. "Are you...okay? Did something happen?"

"Red?" She reached up and placed her palms against her cheeks. "Ah. Yes, makes sense. N-no, nothing happened. I'm fine, I was just..." She quickly pointed to the pot. "Do you need help?"

"Shouldn't you be with Douxie?"

"I..." She shrugged. "I mean, probably. I don't know, he needs to rest and I should probably give him some space. Might not be a good idea to crowd him when he has to leave tomorrow...But I have to talk to him about that so maybe I should go bother him—"

"You're rambling," Jim said as he turned his attention back to the pot.

Maia laughed nervously. "Am I? I didn't realise, sorry. I'll...I'll shut up now." Then she moved closer and glanced over his shoulder at the pot. "What are you making?"

"Well...I thought I'd make a stew," he said. "Can't go wrong with a stew."

"I'm sure you can."

"Not the point. Uh...beef's okay, right?"

Maia frowned. "Meat? Oh...It should be."

"What do you mean?"

"I've been stuck in Camelot for nine hundred years," she said. "At some point, the cows died out. I don't remember the taste."

Jim snickered. "The cows died out?"

"Shut up, Trollhunter. They did."

"If you say so." Then he turned to look at her with a knowing expression. "Oh. Oh, I get it."

"Get what?"

"No, no, nothing. It's nothing." He shooed her away. "It should be done in a few, I'll call when it is. In the meantime..."

"In the meantime?" she prompted.

"Yes...I'm sure Claire will want all the details."

"Details?" Details of what?