Six Minutes (and Thirteen Seconds)

And...then he wasn't.

It took all of six minutes and thirteen seconds, time that Maia spent cursing him out and begging for him to come back. Claire, Steve, and Archie had crowded around too, and the little dragon curled up on Maia's lap, waiting for Douxie to come back. He's a wizard, he has to come back.

Exactly six minutes and thirteen seconds later, he stirred and Maia's breath caught in her throat. She hated hoping but this once...just this once—

His eyes shot open and he gasped.

Archie let out a relieved sigh, jumping onto Douxie as soon as he sat up. "Douxie! You brave, foolish boy."

Douxie winced, wrapping his arms around Archie. "Everything hurts."

"I can't believe you're okay," Claire said.

"Barely!" Archie agreed happily. "Seems you're the one with nine lives. And don't you ever do that again."

Maia reached out and grabbed Douxie's arm as he moved to stand. "Sit down, you knobhead. You just died."

He chuckled nervously. "Oh. Hey."

"Indeed." She glanced back at the castle, where Morgana and Arthur had met their tragic demise, and she sighed. "Please don't ever do that again, Douxie."

"Maia—"

"No, I want you to promise me." She twined her fingers with his and leaned in to press a kiss to them. "I...Douxie, you're all I have left, I can't lose you."

"Alright, I promise." He nodded. "I won't die again."

Maia got up and helped him to his feet, shouldering most of his weight. He must be exhausted. "Good. I should hope not."

"Happy you're alive, Teach," Claire said warmly.

Douxie gave her a smile, then grimaced as he took his first step, gripping Maia's arm tightly. "E-easy, I just came back from beyond the grave."

"That should be a lesson not to do it again," Maia grumbled.

Douxie pretended not to have heard her. "But...wait, where's Jim?"

The group parted and Jim made his way forward. Maia frowned. When had he turned back into a human?

"Mordrax's Miracles," Douxie said quietly, seeming to be thinking the same thing. "Seems I've missed a lot."

"Same," Jim agreed as Claire moved over to hold his hand. "But glad to be back."

"And...what about Arthur?"

"Squished," Aaarrrgghh said.

Maia scowled at the ground when she felt Douxie's worried gaze on her. "I'm fine. I...will mourn later. Right now, we have more important things to focus on."

"Indeed," Blinky said solemnly. "And I'm afraid that with their demise, Excalibur—"

— "is right over here!" Toby exclaimed, running over to the sword and trying to pull it from the rock. To nobody's surprise, it didn't work. "Okay, I just had to try."

"What of you, Master Jim?" Blinky suggested as they all headed over to the sword.

"What?" Jim glanced back at him. "Me?"

"Blinky's right," Douxie said. "With Arthur gone, we need someone to wield Excalibur."

Maia's armour disappeared in a flash of pink light and the amulet settled in her free hand. She didn't feel very Trollhunter-y at all, and she was hoping no one would bring it up.

She didn't want to wield her father's sword.

"Who better than the Trollhunter?" Claire suggested as Jim tried to pull it out. It didn't work, which seemed to disappoint everyone.

"But without my amulet, am I still the Trollhunter?" he asked dejectedly.

"Maia?" Krel suggested. All eyes turned to her and she frowned, watching the waning sunlight reflect off the blade. "Why don't you try?"

"I..." She couldn't find the words. They would think her a coward.

"You don't have to," Douxie said gently. "It's your choice."

Maia shook her head. "It's not mine to hold."

Douxie nodded, then moved towards Jim and Claire, limping heavily. "This means nothing, Jim. If I've learned anything, it's that we don't draw strength from magic artefacts like amulets or swords...Our strength is far less enchanted but no less special—our friends." He slung his arms around Claire and Jim's shoulders with a smile. "We are the protectors of this world. That's why I made the gamble I did: because the only way to stop the Arcane Order and save this world... is to do it together."

He moved over to the side of the skyboat, and Claire followed, taking his face in her hands and inspecting him. "Are you sure our Douxie came back from the dead? This one is super sappy."

"Cheeky." Douxie grinned at her, then waved his hand. The skyboat magically righted itself as Nari stepped forward. "It's time Nari and I got a move on, before the Order catches up."

"Wha—you're leaving? Already?"

"Yeah, you just finished a whole speech about saving the world together," Steve added.

"Where are you going?" Jim asked.

"I promised Merlin I'd keep Nari safe," he said as Nari hopped into the boat, "which means taking her far away from here—"

"No."

Douxie turned to Maia with a surprised look. "What?"

"No," she repeated, folding her arms. "You can do that tomorrow."

"Maia, I don't think you understand—"

"Oh, I understand. I understand completely." She pointed to his leg. "But you've got a bad limp, you're bleeding and burnt, and honestly? You look as though you're about to pass out from exhaustion. And plus, I just got you back. There's no way I'm letting you go that easily."

"Maia," he groaned. "Now is not the time to be stubborn. I have to keep Nari away from the Order—"

"And you can, once you've had at least one good night's sleep."

"Actually...I'm with Maia on this one," Claire said. "You do look wrecked, Teach."

"But the Order! What about them?"

"Worst comes to worst, Claire can portal you and Nari out," Toby suggested.

"In all fairness, you did just die," Krel added. "You need a break."

"But—!"

"Hisirdoux, you need to rest," Maia said. "You don't have to worry. Leave the protecting to us."