Royalty

"You guys should be safe here," Zoe said, hanging near the door with Douxie. Maia took a seat on one of the chairs, fascinated by the fact that it could spin and roll across the floor with tiny wheels. The world really had changed so much since she was last in it.

"Anything in here that can stop some ancient evil wizards?" Toby asked. "It'll be nice to have a moment to catch our breath."

"If the Order has their way, we won't be breathing at all," Merlin said. "Nari, tell them what we're up against."

Nari hopped down from one of the seats and made her way over to Merlin. "Since the beginning, the Order has always sought to protect the balance of magic and mortal, no matter the cost. But our actions only brought pain."

Merlin's expression darkened. "I've spent a millennium keeping their horrors at bay. But it wasn't enough."

"Bellroc and Skrael believe humanity is lost, beyond correction," Nari told them, making her over to one of the walls, with a painted forest over it. One touch from her fingertips and green spectral butterflies appeared, fluttering about the room. "Now they wish to end it all. They search for the Genesis Seals."

"What are the Seals?" Claire asked.

Steve scoffed, and Maia noticed him floating about on one of the boxes in the air. Now that was magic. "Cute but deadly sea mammals, duh."

"You're wrong, squire," she told him. "The Genesis Seals are a form of primordial magic. A gateway, if you'd like, to the very essence of magic."

Merlin looked surprised. "Very good, Princess. If the Seals are broken...then raw, uncontrolled magic shall rise upon the world, wiping it like a flood."

The boy from before scoffed. "Oh, come on. Destroying the world? Again?"

"Can't these bad guys just...remodel a continent or do something nice for once?" Toby suggested, which had most nodding along with him.

Maia rolled her eyes. "Unfortunately not. Hence the label 'bad' guys."

"All of the Order must be present to open the Seals," Nari said, caressing one of the spectral butterflies. "That is why I fled."

Merlin nodded. "I've hidden the Seals away, but we must keep Bellroc and Skrael away from them—and Nari—or it is the end of all things."

Claire frowned. "But if they're after her, why do they need Jim?"

The room fell silent at her question, as none knew the answer.

"Maybe they needed his amulet?" Toby suggested quietly.

"Then why didn't they take the princess?" Steve asked as he rolled off the floating box. "She has an amulet too, you know."

"Why do you have an amulet anyway?" Claire asked. "I thought Merlin only made one?" She looked at the old wizard questioningly and Maia cleared her throat.

"He had to do something with the excess," she explained, amulet in hand. It felt a lot heavier than it did before. "My one isn't as powerful as the Trollhunter's, but it serves its purpose, if only poorly."

"And the purpose?"

"Attack." She mimed stabbing with a sword. "And protecting, as a Trollhunter is supposed to."

"So who are you?" the boy from before asked. She still didn't know his name. "I haven't seen you before."

"Princess Maia Pendragon," she told him. "Heir to the throne of Camelot and holder of the second Trollhunter amulet. And who are you?"

"Krel Tarron." He paused for a moment, before adding, "King-in-waiting of Akiridion-5."

"So you're a prince."

"...Yes."

"Is it not just easier to introduce yourself as a prince?"

"It's more intimidating when you give the longer version," he replied with a grin.

"Finally, someone who understands."

"Oh, you'd really like my sister then. She's a queen."

"You two can bond over your shared royalty later," Claire interrupted impatiently. "We need to find a way to save Jim."

Merlin sighed as everyone averted their attention. "I empathise, Miss Claire, but we cannot go back to save him."

"Come on, this is our friend we're talking about! Your Trollhunter! You want us to just forget about him? No way!"

Douxie tried to get their attention, though it didn't work half as wells Maia thought it would. "Surely there's something we can do—"

"The risk is too great for a rescue," Merlin interrupted. "We must keep Nari safe from the Order. The fate of existence is at stake!"

"This is why nobody likes you, dude," Toby muttered, loud enough for the old wizard to hear.

Merlin glared at him. "I care not for your 'likes'. James Lake is corrupted, gone!" He waved his staff and the tiny picture frames behind him filled with the image of the corrupted Trollhunter. "There is no bringing him back."

Claire slammed her hands down on the bench between them. "Or you're just too stubborn to try!"

"Please, you both have solid points," Douxie said.

"My presence causes such discord," Nari spoke sadly. "I have put you all in danger."

Steve knelt down to her with a grin. "No worries, veggie lady. You are under protection of the Knights of Arcadia! Which is only just me, currently."

Merlin sighed. "I will not jeopardise the mortal plane for one troll!"

Claire followed him across the room. "It's what he'd do for us."

"And look where that got him."

"What?" The images blinked out in a purple light and Claire looked around desperately. "Come on, back me up here. Anybody? Archie?"

Maia got up from her seat and moved over to Douxie, running her fingers over his hair as he rested his head on the table. It's not your job to be responsible for them.

"Don't look at me," Archie said. "Cats don't have the right to vote. Neither do dragons."

He flew over Douxie and Maia. "Yet."

Then Douxie sat up, realisation washing over him. "Wait a tick...I know a way we can rescue Jim without risking the world."

"Is that so?" Merlin asked, seemingly unimpressed.

"How?" Maia asked.

He didn't bother with explaining, instead he watched Archie soar about the room. "And if it works, it will be quite the little magic trick."

~ • ~

"You'll be okay staying here?" Douxie asked.

Maia nodded. "I've been in worse situations. But are you sure—"

"It's not that I think you're incapable, Your Highness," Merlin cut in, leaning on his staff. "You are much better equipped to stay and protect Nari, should Hisirdoux's plan...er, fail."

"Which it won't," Douxie chimed in.

"Nevertheless. You'll all be safer here." The old wizard's gaze slipped past her. "And you need not worry about the trolls. I can assure you, neither of them wish you harm."

"Are you sure?"

"You can ask Toby if you still don't feel safe," Claire called over her shoulder as she left through the (not so) magic door.

"Alright." She rubbed her fingers over the bridge of her nose as Merlin left. "Hisirdoux?"

"Princess," he replied.

"Promise me you'll all come back in one piece." After a pause, she added, "again."

"I will do my best," he promised, taking her hand and bowing to press a kiss to her knuckles. "Keep an eye on things here, yeah?"

"As you said, I will do my best."