𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳; 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR:
THE WINTER BALL

---- "you walk in, and my heart beats different

---- "you walk in, and my heart beats different." ----

GOOD & EVIL

——— ON THE EVE OF CHRISTMAS EVE, Liv found herself rummaging through her expansive walk-in wardrobe, in search of the perfect gown for the Winter Ball. It was her first time attending, and she was unsure of what to expect, let alone what to wear. Her closet was a treasure trove of high-end fashion, accessories, luxurious shoes, and an array of exquisite perfumes. Yet, there was not a single ball gown in sight.

"In a family manor that is meant to be like royalty... how are there no bloody gowns!" she exclaimed in frustration.

Storming out of her closet, she came to an abrupt halt at the sight of her grandfather standing in her room.

"That is because our family line has been predominantly male... you're the first girl born into our family since..." His gaze drifted past her. She glanced back to find it was a portrait of Merope Gaunt, her great-grandmother.

"I see," she murmured, but when she turned back to him, her expression was one of irritation, her arms crossed over her chest. He looked puzzled, unsure of what had upset her. "I just thought... for once... you'd keep your promise..."

"What?" he asked, taken aback.

"You promised no more family secrets," she reminded him, though he still seemed confused. "My father... he was a death eater..." Realization dawned in his blue eyes as Liv glared at him. "And because he kept me a secret, Voldemort murdered him and my mother..."

With a heavy sigh, John reluctantly rolled up his sleeve, revealing a... mark on his forearm. It was a dark green, glittering skull with a snake slithering out of its mouth. Liv recognized it from her first-year studies on dark wizards at Hogwarts. It was the Dark Mark.

"We all were, Olivia," he admitted, and she could only stare at him in disbelief. Why was she surprised?

"Why?" she demanded. "He murdered your son and my mother!"

"My brother... he knew how to exploit weakness... and use it against people... and that's what he did with us," John told her. "I succumbed to the darkness and tried to take your father with me... but his... insufferable love for Jenna–" Liv shot him a look, "for your mother... he didn't give in... but he stayed... we both did... to protect my wife... whom my brother had threatened..."

Liv's anger slowly gave way to understanding. Valerie Bones had never been a topic of discussion in her entire life. It was difficult to even remember that she was a real person, who had lived and loved. Sometimes it felt like she was just a figment of their imagination.