Chapter IV: Unwanted Confrontations

A month had gone by since Crowley and Aziraphale had taken Evangeline in, and things were going quite well. They managed to take care of the little girl to the best of their abilities, and Aziraphale had even gone so far as to try and homeschool the child, even though the angel had no real experience with children. Evangeline had warmed up to the angel and the demon as well. In fact, Evangeline had warmed up to them so much, that she had begun to refer to Aziraphale and Crowley as 'her dads' while they were in public.

One day, however, while the three were just relaxing in the bookshop, there was a knock at the front door...and one that didn't sound pleasant, too. Aziraphale was the one to answer the door, opening it only to see a very irritated looking woman at the door. She was quite tall and slender, wearing a white blouse and a black skirt, with her curly brunette hair in a messy ponytail.

"May I...help you?" Aziraphale asked hesitantly, instantly not getting a good feeling about the woman.
"Where's my daughter." The woman said sharply. She obviously didn't sound happy at all.

Crowley and Evangeline walked up to the door too. Crowley stood behind Aziraphale...Evangeline, however, hid behind Crowley, holding onto the demon's hand seemingly out of fear and seeking comfort, which Crowley didn't seem to mind. The woman's attention quickly locked onto Evangeline and her gaze turned even colder, to which Evangeline responded to by burying her face in Crowley's side. Aziraphale looked at Crowley, and Crowley looked at Aziraphale. This woman was Evangeline's mother...

"Are you two just going to stand there and stare at each other?!" The woman said, her frustration growing "Give me the damn kid alre-"
"No," Crowley finally said sternly, his head turning back to look at the woman "She's staying with us."

The woman was flabbergasted by Crowley's words. In her eyes, she was doing the right thing, wanting to take Evangeline back and punish her for running away, and the fact that the "men" in front of her were denying that made her even more furious.

"How dare you?!" The woman yelled "Don't you know who I am?! I could easily get you BOTH arrested for child abductio-"
"If it was child abduction, she would be crying for you," Crowley retorted, his Scottish accent quite thick due to his pent up frustration "Not to mention the fact she willingly stayed here with us for a month already."
"W- well I-" the woman sputtered once more.
"No. She's staying here and away from people like you." Crowley finalized sternly.

The woman, with a groan, turned around and stomped off to where she had parked her car. When she had left, Aziraphale and Crowley took Evangeline back inside and closed the door of the bookshop. The two immortal beings had grown to genuinely care about Evangeline.

"Are you alright, lass?" Crowley asked, looking down at Evangeline, to which the little girl nodded softly in response, still clinging to Crowley.

"I think we dodged a massive bullet back there..." He muttered, glancing over to Aziraphale.
"Indeed...I just hope she doesn't come back." Aziraphale replied,

Crowley then picked Evangeline up, holding the little girl in his arms as he walked back to the armchair he was originally sitting in.

"Don't worry, Evangeline..." Crowley whispered softly to the child. He hated his he was going soft, but he also wanted to make sure Evangeline wasn't afraid of him. "We'll take care of you...you'll be safe from people like that woman, and I'll make sure of it..."

"Whatever the cost may be..."