Chapter I: Feeding the Ducks

Crowley sat back on the bench in St. James park...the one he and Aziraphale always sat at. The demon was lazily skimming over a newspaper, trying to look like he was doing something as he waited for Aziraphale to arrive. Out of the corner of his eye and through his sunglasses, the demon could see a little girl by the nearby pond...she looked to be around 7 years old, and was quite dirty, with multiple scratches and bruises on her knees. The little girl was feeding the ducks frozen peas...but her parents were nowhere to be seen. After a while, Crowley sighed, putting the newspaper down and walking over to the little girl.

"Hello, lass," Crowley eventually said to the girl, "You all by yourself out here?"

The little girl looked up at Crowley, but didn't say anything. However, she did respond with a subtle nod. Crowley sighed to himself, shaking his head.

"What's your name, lass?" Crowley finally asked.
"...Evangeline," the little girl whispered in a soft, squeaky voice, "My name's Evangeline."
"What a lovely name, Evangeline," Crowley replied, "...Where are your parents?"

Evangeline didn't respond once more, her eyes darting down to look at the ground. She seemed almost hesitant to answer Crowley's question...scared, even. Noticing this, the demon decided to ask a slightly softer question.

"How old are you, Evangeline?" Crowley asked.
"...I just turned seven in February," Evangeline replied softly.

Only seven years old, Crowley thought to himself. Even for a demon like him, the thought of a little girl of Evangeline's age being by herself with no parents around made his stony heart break.
"How long has it been since you've eaten anything, lass?" Crowley asked, his tone slowly morphing into one that showed his genuine concern for the little human.
"...Four days," Evangeline replied.

That was it for Crowley. He couldn't stand any more of this poor little girl suffering. Crowley sighed, kneeling down so that he was at eye level with Evangeline. "I can't leave you here by yourself, lass...you're just a little one," the demon hesitated slightly, before he continued, "...Would you come with me?"

Evangeline hesitated for a moment, taken aback slightly. This random man, out of nowhere, was offering to take care of her..? Could she actually trust him? After a moment or two, Evangeline nodded softly, running slightly forward and clinging onto Crowley's chest, holding onto the demon tightly. Crowley was surprised at how quickly the little girl had grown to trust him. After all, the two had just met. However, the demon shook this off and scooped Evangeline into his arms, holding the child close to his chest as he carried her out of St. James park and towards the Bentley. Boy, was he going to have to explain a lot to Aziraphale...