CHAPTER 37 - "Chaos is a Ladder."

Start from the beginning

               I can't tell if Tyrion is talking to me or Shae. Surely, he wants to warn both of us.

"You can talk" I assure you, Sansa answers.

"How do I get started...?" mumbles the Lannister closing the door. "This... This is... Somewhat tricky."

               Tyrion explains that Tywin has finally made his decision about my sister's wedding. And, as you may have guessed, the Stark and Lannister houses will be bound forever. By the union of the half-man and the daughter of the traitor Ned Stark.

               In shock, no one can find the right words. The four of us look at each other in the white of our eyes without a sound escaping from our mouths. This man half of Westeros despises, the dwarf that everyone portrays as lustful and greedy, will marry my sister.

               That Tyrion is a dwarf is just a detail. Sansa will feel ashamed of it at first but will soon forget it. His charm will take over. What really pisses me off is that Tywin found a way to get our deal back in his favor, against me.

               I get up and leave the room without saying a word. Tyrion's voice lifts him up behind me, forcing me to stop: «Diana». I would give anything to hear him repeat my name over and over again...

               I turn to him in silence. We usually do not need words to understand each other except that, in this case, there is nothing to say. I thought I could win, that by waiting for his love he would end up giving it to me. I could never marry my sister's husband; he could never marry his nephew's wife.

"I won't let him" I say.

"My father is not one who obeys. He is one who gives orders."

"He's not allowed to do that."

"Sansa belongs to the crown. And like everything that belongs to him, he will make her do what he wants."

"She's not his! Sansa doesn't belong to anyone."

"Those who oppose Tywin end up on their knees."

"Then he will beg me on his knees."

               I have the disturbing impression of seeing pity in the eyes of the Lannister. He must think I'm crazy.

"Sansa is my sister, Tyrion... My blood. Robb is on the battlefield, my two little brothers are dead, Arya must be too. Our family has been ridiculed for far too long, someone must take the lead and take action."

"Go ahead..."

               So, I go to Tywin's apartments. I don't wait for the announcement to come in and head to his office.

"Lannister!"

               The Lion looks up at me but doesn't seem surprised. He knows what makes me angry.

"There will be no discussion" he says before I have time to open my mouth.

"You are not allowed!"

"I have all the rights, you delivered them to me on a silver platter."

"I asked you to find a suitable husband for Sansa. Tyrion is not a suitable husband."

               Tywin takes a moment to finish his letter, get up and serve himself a glass of wine. During these long seconds, the silence is only interrupted by my jerky breathing.

"I understand you are fond of my son" he finally says.

"I highly value Lord Tyrion" I reply.

"Well... So, where's the problem?"