🪄 Oblivion [7/8] 🪄

Start bij het begin

Shocked, stunned, and mildly embarrassed about my actions, I stuttered when I addressed her.
"Y-You're her mother?"

Sonar nodded. "Well, technically yes. Just refer to me as her guardian."

Stick approached her, giving the hybrid a skeptical look. "So you're a shapeshifter like her? I mean, I'm assuming you are."

She shook her head. "No, not necessarily a shapeshifter. A sorceress is more of the right term."

I eyed her suspiciously, giving Stick the side eye.

Something felt wrong.

No.

Something was wrong.

The only problem was, we didn't know what it was.

Jester came sprinting back to us, his arms loaded with harpoon guns. "Dude, check out this sick deal I- Who is that?"

Sonar's eyes went wide. "You! Aren't you Jester?"

The masked man nodded, pointing finger guns at her with a free hand. "The one and only. Who must you be?"

She dipped her head, putting a paw on her lilac chest. "Sonar. Sorceress Sonar Orcinus. You're the little chaos fiend, aren't you?"

"Who else could it possibly be?" Jester laughed. "Anyways, I remember you from centuries ago. Weren't you the sorceress who enchanted an of ice statue to bring Polar to life or something?"

"Excuse me?" I asked, stunned. "I- What?"

Sonar nodded. "Yes, yes, I'm her animator. I thought she told the three of you already?"

Stick shook his head. "No, but, could you tell us more about this? It's all very-"

Before the engineer could say another word, a blur of white, platinum fur barreled into him, knocking him off his feet and onto the boardwalk.

It was Polar, and her eyes were crazed with what could only be pure rage.

"YOU!" She snarled, jumping off twisting around to face Sonar. "Get away from my friends!"

The hybrid shook her head dismissively, gasping in mock shock. "Polar, that is no way to treat your companions. Did you never learn from me, after all those years I spent with you?"

Polar's cobalt blue eyes narrowed, gleaming with malicious intent. "What I learned from you was that NO ONE can be TRUSTED , including people like YOU!"

Launching herself at her guardian, claws extended, she scored directly through flesh...

...And into the chest of Dr. Pine.

Lavender fur swirled around us like a flurry, covering the wooden planks in wisps of clearly torn-out fur.

By now, a crowd had formed to watch the chaos, some of the people shouting out for the fight to stop.

The doctor's disguise was being ripped apart, with paws morphing back into gloved hands and furred flanks reverting to skin.

Polar, who had completely lost whatever sense she had of mercy, drove Dr. Pine over to the dock, sizing him up on her hind paws.

I suddenly understood why she was so angry.

Someone had impersonated her mother, and even though we never knew her that much, she meant a lot to Polar.

This "Sonar" was only a disguise for Dr. Pine to use, to get to control us...

To get to control Polar.

Frozen in place, I could only watch the fighting continue.

With what Dr. Pine had left, he was wildly swinging at the shapeshifter, pummeling her with his fists.

People in the crowd behind us started cheering, some of them betting money on who would win.

I simultaneously beamed with pride and shrank in fear at what I saw Polar doing.

She was fighting, and she was fighting hard.

However, she was also losing control over herself.

What sanity she had left was rapidly falling.

This was not Polar, the squeaky, defenseless, little bear we had always seen her as.

This was Polar, the powerful, fierce shapeshifter who could rip and tear through anyone who even attempted to take her down.

I was surprised to see myself think so deeply in the middle of such action.

Stick and Jester were both shaking at my shoulders, yelling at me to snap back to reality.

Luckily I did, and just in time.

The shapeshifter had Dr. Pine by the throat, slamming her tail into his nose so hard she may as well have just broken his skull entirely.

Muscles rippled throughout her frosty coat, toning her sleek, yet small form to appear larger and much more menacing.

They were on the edge of the boardwalk, with Dr. Pine managing to get some punches into his opponent.

I would be terrified in his place.

Powerful, icy canines snapped at his face, paired with the frigid frostbreath that was charging up in Polar's throat.

Fueled with sheer rage and sheer rage alone, Polar slammed her tail into his chest, pushing him off the edge of the boardwalk and into the ocean below.

Then time went in slow motion.

Unable to react, I saw the recoil of her tail kick in, swinging at me.

Bracing myself to get hit, I raised my arms, shielding my visor from her flukes.

I was too slow.

The crack of glass.

Thud.

Systems fried.

Powering down.

Blackout.