II. THE GIDD-E BOY

K.N Vosklyai

29.11.1936

Entry №. 2

"FAMILIARISE WITH YOUR WORLD: The GIDD-E Boy's 'Examine' card allows for inspection of properties of surroundings and life-forms."

- Union General Advisory Booklet, №. 1004

Shelter Warden Zctdalotzky gifted me several 'essential survival tools' for the Emerging. One of them was a series of texts from the Union and these are yet to prove their helpfulness as 'advisory booklets'. The other was a mechanism dubbed ..

.. dubbed ..

"Mk. E GENERAL INFORMATION DISPLAY DEVICE"

The Warden has written it down in the entry and suggested "GIDD-E Boy" as an alternative spelling, which I much more prefer.

From what the booklets report, this was a highly advanced computation mechanism designed by the AMPLO-TEK company, meant to be a general-purpose mechanism which uses specialised punchcards to run various programmes. Zctdalotzky gave me a 'STATS' card to track my general vitals, a 'TRAVEL LOG' card to manage tasks, & a 'MAP' card to .. well, view a area map.

There are also caching, radio and inventory cards prebuilt into the mechanism, which I assume are unremoveable. The booklets state that only three cards can be 'cached' into the GIDD-E Boy's memory & that about 13 cards exist in circulation. The AMPLO port on the Boy's back is supposed to be used in conjunction with another card, but I do not own it – the whereabouts of these other cards remain an unknown. Zctdalotzky advised me to familiarise myself with the GIDD-E Boy and declared the Emerging to take place in 2 days from now.

The GIDD-E Boy in question is a peculiar mechanism – it is fitted with 15 kilos of assorted computational bits with an apolar Sterling engine on top and a heat engine to accompany it. There is also a metre's length of insulated cable connected to a small brick shaped device with a miniature telephone ear and a 20cm screen. On the lower half of this brick device there is a foldout type-key board and a gear to switch between cached programmes. In total, the'backpack'and the display brick weigh in at about 20 kilogrammes.

This device will take time to accommodate - I shall assume it to take a short period, hopefully 2 days on schedule.