In the Name of Love

{Lan Wangji P.O.V}

I held him in my arms.

I held him tightly.

For if I had let him go, the pain would kill me.

I would hold him forever.

"Wei Ying." I whispered sadly, voice trembling with the weight of a thousand tears. I poured all my spiritual energy into his limp body, the constant flow of fluorescent teal glowing in the darkness of the cave.

"All the memories we made, all the promises, all the challenges, you stayed by my side. You left occasionally, but always came back. Like a free bird, whose feathers lured me in, to appreciate the beauty of how you painted the sky blue, how you showed me the million stars that illuminated the sky, and how you forced me to break through restricting chains."

He stirred ever so slightly.

"Now you're injured, and I'm here. I'll always be here for you, and only you. I'll mend your wings when they're broken, so you can fly again. I'll be there watching when you take off once more."

His eyelids opened blankly.

His dry mouth uttered one word.

"滚。"(Scram.)

Scram?

Scram.

Scram...

"No." I shook my head, water streaming out of my eyes like the scarlet blood leaking out of my heart.

"滚。"(Scram.)

"I'm never leaving you." I choked, spiritual energy running out.

"滚。"(Scram.)

"Please...Wei Ying I'm sorry..."

Every single time, a small part of me faded away.

"There they are!" Voices from the outside world shouted.

They were like ghosts echoing useless cries but turning human and nearing them.

"I can't." The two words that left my brain perplexed my conscience, what couldn't I do?

I couldn't protect him.

I wasn't strong enough.

No, I was strong enough.

I will protect him.

"滚。"(Scram.)

"Wei Ying. I love you."

Muffling my sobs, I gently placed him down, I gently placed the world down, out of my reach.

He closed his eyes and steadied his breaths.

He didn't want me to interfere.

If you love someone you need to let them go.

"Lan Wangji! Have you seen the Yiling Laozu?" Seniors asked.

"No." My grip on Bichen tightened as I lunged forward and killed thirty-three of my elders.

Now as I reflect on the events in seclusion, body wrapped in bandages, whip scars bleeding profusely, heart gone, I think, was it really worth it?

Yes it was.

If I could, I would do it all over again a million times.