Chapter Two

"Oh? You're early?" You exclaimed as you walked into the soccer club room where Tenma, Shinsuke, and Aoi were seated down watching a match.

"Good morning!" They exclaimed, bowing politely as you gave a nod in response. "You're here early too, [Surname]-senpai."

"Of course. I'm the coach's assistant. It's my job to come early and prepare things for practice." You explained as you took a peek at the screen. "I see you're watching last year's Holy Road."

"Yeah, but I wonder if both teams were playing seriously." Shinsuke said.

"Of course they were. It was serious." The new voice belonged to none other than Otonashi Haruna, who walked in behind you. "Because it was a serious game, Shindou used both God's Baton and Fortissimo." She explained as the commentator on the tape announced Raimon's loss.

"We lost but I think everyone felt accomplished in that match."

"Must feel great to play real soccer..." You muttered. Otonashi smiled at you.

"It does. Although Fifth Sector manages the games, their are times where you're allowed to play to the fullest of your abilities. Although, a case like this one is rare on a grand stage like Holy Road." She explained. "Even practice matches with other schools, like the one with Eito earlier, can either have the score predetermined or be the kind where you can play without holding back."

"That's weird. Fifth Sector is definitely weird." Shinsuke said.

"Indeed." Was all you said in response to his statement.

"By the way, why were you watching last year's game?" Otonashi asked.

"Holy Road is coming up." Aoi explained "We watched it to see how it was like last year."

"Besides, this place has lots of records of previous games." Shinsuke exclaimed as the door to the club room opened and in walked Endou.

"Hey, good morning!" Endou said. "You're early."

"Good morning!" Otonashi greeted back.

"Is it just you guys?" Endou asked as he walked to the right side of the room.

"Yes.." Tenma answered.

"Which is a shame since everyone came to the riverbank yesterday." Aoi spoke with a frown.

"Expected," You said in in a cold tone. "They only came out of curiosity, not dedication."

Tenma and Shinsuke deflated at yours and Aoi's statements. "Not everyone... captain and some others didn't come."

"Don't worry, they'll all be here soon." Endou exclaimed as he finished setting up a poster of Holy Road on the wall with a smile.

"How can you be so sure, Endou-san?" You asked with a raised eyebrow.

"If they want to play soccer, they'll come." He replied with his unwavering smile.

"Holy Road..." Tenma exclaimed as everyone on the room directed their attention to the poster Endou set up.

"When I was your age, the tournament was called Football Frontier." Endou explained.

"Good morning."

"Morning!"

The rest of the team walked in at that moment, getting greeted back by Tenma, Shinsuke and Aoi.

"You first-years are early." Said kurumada.

"Hey, everyone. You're here." Endou spoke, smiling at the sight of the team together.

It was when you realised that captain Shindou and forward Kurama weren't among those present. And it seemed Tenma realised it too, and the rest of the team deflated when he brought it up.