28: Ruin Golem

Warnings: None! just fluff (most important chapter in the fic imo)

It had been about three weeks since they arrived in Sumeru. They have fallen into a sad routine. She had joined Zandik on his trip in hopes to at least see him at dinner time, but the more time went on, the later he started to show and the earlier he left. She was lucky if she woke up in the middle of the night to him joining her in bed.

She found things to do throughout the day to keep her distracted. She had befriended an old woman named Sakina. The old woman made a random comment to Y/N about the ingredients she was picking up and the conversation never stopped.

Y/N visited her almost every day. The woman promised to teach her all sorts of traditional things, such as cooking. She had no grandchildren to pass her knowledge onto, so she was happy to teach Y/N anything she wanted to know. Mostly things an old traditional wife would do, but Y/N still enjoyed doing it nonetheless.

"This is how you will make that man want to marry you." Sakina would tell Y/N whenever she completed the task perfectly.

Y/N would laugh in response to her comment. "He already does."

Sakina made the best baklava, which was perfect for Y/N to learn from. It was the first thing Y/N learned to make. Minty bean soup, pita pocket, and baklava were the only dishes Y/N could confidently make without Sakina's help. She was hoping to master gilded Tajine next.

The Fatui guards followed Y/N everywhere. When she started to visit Sakina, the guards insisted that they follow and stayed with Y/N in the home. Over time, they realized that the old woman had no intention to hurt Y/N, and posted themselves outside the home. Once Y/N had made a dish, Sakina would open her front door, inviting the two of them in to eat the meal.

Y/N would often leave Sakina's house and head straight to the market to gather the ingredients for dinner. She would cook dinner for both her and Zandik, waiting for him to come home. The food would get cold by the time she got sick of waiting.

Some days Zandik would come home and she wasn't expecting it, not having dinner prepared. They would go out to dinner instead, but Y/N was still sad that she couldn't show him the food she was now able to make. His schedule was constantly changing, so Y/N was never able to find out in advance when he would be home.

Whenever she would get upset about Zandik's absence, she had to remind herself what the weeks would've been like if she stayed in Snezhnaya. At least here she had the warm weather and Sakina.

Y/N woke up with the sun flooding into the room. It was yet another morning without Zandik beside her. She stretched, getting out of bed. She got dressed for the day. She was planning on going out with Sakina yet again to buy her a new pot.

"That corner has been looking awfully empty recently." She told Y/N the previous day. "It needs a good pot to fill the space."

Y/N had just finished up in the bathroom when she heard the front door close. She rushed out of the room to find Zandik holding a strange device, she paid little to know attention to it, assuming it was something for his work.

"What are you doing home so early?" She questioned curiously. "Did you forget something?"

"Have you forgotten that I made you a promise to spend a day with you?" He questioned, putting the device down on the counter top.

How could she forget when she thought about when it would come every single day. She just wasn't expecting it to be today due to her having plans made. "You said you would take me to the most beautiful place in all of Sumeru." She recalled his previous words to her.