For Richer or Poorer

Start from the beginning

Finally, with breakfast ready and a tray laden with steaming dishes in hand, Jane made her way back to the bedroom. Gently nudging the door open, she found Maura stirring from her slumber, her eyes fluttering open with sleepy curiosity.

"Good morning, sunshine," Jane greeted, her voice soft with affection as she placed the tray on the bedside table.

Maura's eyes widened in surprise at the sight before her—a feast fit for royalty, lovingly prepared by her thoughtful fiancée. "Jane, what's all this?"

"It's breakfast in bed, Maura," Jane replied, her smile radiant as she settled onto the edge of the bed beside Maura. "I wanted to do something special for you, to make up for our argument last night."

Maura's heart swelled with emotion at Jane's gesture, her eyes shining with gratitude. "Thank you, Jane. This is... incredibly thoughtful."

As they shared a leisurely breakfast together, their conversation flowed effortlessly, their laughter mingling with the scent of pancakes and coffee. Sitting together in the comfort of their home, Maura posed a hypothetical question to Jane: "Jane, if you suddenly had 1 million dollars, what would you do with it?"

Jane paused to consider the question, her brow furrowing as she pondered her response. "Well, Maura, first and foremost, I'd make sure that Angela is taken care of. She's done so much for me and Frankie over the years, and I'd want to make sure she's comfortable and doesn't have to worry about anything."

Maura nodded in agreement, a warm smile gracing her lips at Jane's thoughtful answer. "That's very sweet, Jane. What else would you do?"

Jane's gaze softened as she thought of their future together. "I'd invest in our home, Maura. Maybe spruce up the backyard a bit and finally get that barbecue grill you've been eyeing. And of course, I'd put some money aside for any unexpected expenses that might come up."

Maura reached out to gently squeeze Jane's hand, touched by her selflessness and practicality. "You always think of others, Jane. What about something just for yourself?"

Jane's lips curled into a playful grin. "Hmm, well, maybe I'd treat us to a nice vacation. Somewhere tropical, with white sandy beaches and crystal-clear waters. A chance for us to relax and unwind together."

Maura's heart swelled with love for the woman sitting beside her, her admiration for Jane growing with each honest and down-to-earth answer. "That sounds wonderful, Jane. But you know, no matter how much money we have, as long as we have each other and our family, we're already rich beyond measure."

As Maura mentioned passing a test, Jane's brows furrowed in confusion. "Test? What test are you talking about, Maura?"

Maura chuckled softly, her eyes twinkling with amusement at Jane's puzzled expression. "Oh, it was just a little experiment I came up with. I wanted to see how you would respond to the question about what you would do with 1 million dollars."

Jane's confusion deepened. "And... what were you testing, exactly?"

Maura reached out to gently take Jane's hand, her touch warm and reassuring. "I was testing your character, Jane. Your answers were honest, selfless, and centered around family and our future together. It showed me once again what an incredible person you are."

A slow smile spread across Jane's face as understanding dawned. "You mean you were testing if I'd turn into a greedy, money-hungry monster if I suddenly came into a windfall?"

Maura laughed, nodding in affirmation. "In a way, yes. But I never had any doubt that you would respond with kindness and generosity. You have a heart of gold, Jane Rizzoli, and I love you for it."

Jane's heart swelled with warmth at Maura's words, a sense of pride and gratitude filling her. "Well, I may not have known it was a test, but I'm glad I passed. And hey, if we ever do come into a million dollars, I promise to stick to my honest and down-to-earth answers."

Maura leaned in to press a tender kiss to Jane's cheek, her love for her fiancée shining brightly in her eyes. "That's all I could ever ask for, Jane. With you by my side, I know that together, we can handle anything life throws our way."

Later that day, Maura picked up the phone and dialed her mother's number, her fingers steady despite the nervous flutter in her stomach. As the call connected, she took a deep breath, steeling herself for the conversation that lay ahead.

"Hello, Mother," Maura greeted, her voice calm but determined. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

Constance's voice came through the line, tinged with surprise at the unexpected call. "Maura, darling, of course not. What can I do for you?"

Maura took a moment to gather her thoughts before plunging into the heart of the matter. "I wanted to talk to you about the prenuptial agreement. Jane and I have discussed it, and we've decided that we will not be signing one."

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line, followed by a soft sigh from Constance. "Maura, I understand that this is a difficult decision, but I urge you to consider the implications carefully. It's important to protect your assets."

Maura shook her head, her resolve unwavering. "I appreciate your concern, Mother, but Jane and I trust each other implicitly. We don't need a legal document to prove that. In fact, I've already scheduled a meeting with my lawyer to add Jane onto all of my properties and accounts."

There was a moment of stunned silence before Constance spoke again, her voice tinged with disbelief. "Maura, are you sure about this? It's a significant step to take."

"Yes, Mother, I'm sure," Maura replied firmly. "Jane and I are partners in every sense of the word, and I want her to know that I trust her completely. We're building a life together, and nothing—not even a prenup—will change that."

As the call came to an end, Maura felt a sense of empowerment wash over her.