The Other World

Previously on MLP EG...

"Who was that?" Fluttershy asked.

.

.

Dusk Shine POV

"Sundown Glare, a former student of mine." Princess Celestia stated after I exclaimed the situation. 

"He began his studies with me not long before Dusk. But when he did not get what he wanted as quickly as he liked, he turned cruel and dishonest. I tried to help him...but he eventually decided to abandon his studies and pursue his own path. One that has sadly led him to stealing your crown." Princess Celestia explained. 

"He replaced Dusk's with this one." Spike stated as he held the fake version of my crown.

"I suppose Sundown Glare thought you wouldn't notice right away that this was not yours, and by the time you did...it would be too late to go after your crown and Element of Harmony." Princess Celestia said. 

"But I don't understand! Where did he go? Where did he take the crown?" I asked, confused. 

"You'll soon know more about this place than even I do." Princess Celestia stated.

We were in front of the mirror Sundown Glare jumped into along with my crown.

"This is no ordinary mirror. It is a gateway to another world—a gateway that opens once every thirty moons." Princess Luna stated. 

Pinkie Pie reaches into view and taps the glass, creating the same phosphorescent ripples that occurred when my crown passed through it.

"Sparkly!" Pinkie Pie said. 

Princess Luna used her magic to stop Pinkie Pie from touching the mirror. 

"It has always been kept in the throne room of Canterlot Castle. But when Princess Cadence took over the Crystal Empire, we sent it here for her to watch over." Princess Luna stated. 

"I had always hoped that Sundown Glare would someday use it to return, to come back to Equestria seeking my guidance. Obviously, this is not what has happened.

"Dusk...you must use the mirror to go into this other world and retrieve your crown. Without it, the other Elements of Harmony have no power and Equestria is left without one of its most important means of defense." Cadence stated to me. 

I steadily approached the mirror, on the end of this. I stop to give it a searching, unsure gaze; my friends and Spike fearful looks among themselves. 

"Your crown does not belong in the place Sundown Glare now calls home. And in his possession, your Element of Harmony will no doubt be used to bring harm to the inhabitants of this other realm. They will not have the power to defend themselves." Princess Celestia stated. 

A pair of saddlebags is floated onto my back and one open flap is closed—by Rarity, judging from the color of the aura moving them.

"You understand the importance of your task?" Princess Celestia asked. 

"Of course." I stated. 

"Good. Then you must go at once." Princess Celestia stated. 

My purple eyes narrow in determination and I take a deep breath, letting it out as I step toward the mirror. Before I can even get a hoof onto its mounting platform, however, Rainbow Dash swoops down and lands squarely in my path.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. He's going? We're going with him. Right, girls?" Rainbow Dash asked. 

"Oooooh! I'm so nervi-cited!" Pinkie Pie squealed. 

"You do realize that's not a real word, right?" Applejack asked. 

I smile warmly at this show of dedication, but Princess Celestia stops them. 

"I'm afraid I can't let you go." Princess Celestia stated. 

"What?!? Why not?" Rainbow Dash asked, shocked as she stomped her hoof. 

"Sending all of you could upset the balance of this alternate world...creating havoc that would make it impossible for Dusk to get the crown back from Sundown Glare. This is something Prince Dusk must do alone.

"Time is of the essence. On the third day, when the moon reaches its peak in the night sky..." Princess Luna stated. 

I looked up and saw the moon slowly shifting position in said sky as the shadow covering most of its surface moves to leave only a ring of light around the periphery. It covers one of the three stars, flaring up brightly and the shadow fades away.

"The gateway will close. And once it does...it will be another thirty moons before you will be able to use it to return." Princess Luna stated. 

I move toward the portal as the other five voice assorted words of support. One light violet hoof touches the surface in extreme close-up; in a longer shot, I pull it away from the simmering magic and looks back over my shoulder. A gentle but firm nod from Princess Celestia gives me the steel I needed to make myself step through and disappear from sight. Spike, though, gives in to his nerves and races through the knot of ponies, too fast even for Applejack to intercept.

"SPIKE, NO!!" My friends exclaimed. 

All I saw was darkness as I let out a moan as my head spun. 

"Uh, Dusk?" I hear Spike ask as my vision cleared. 

"Huh? Spike?" I asked as I looked to the right. 

My focusing blink is followed by the approach of a light violet dog with light yellow-green underbelly and darker, floppy ears that strongly resemble his normal bat-wing ones. Around his neck is a blue studded collar with a gold tag marked by a pink heart; on the next line, I lift my head slightly to take in the changed face, which still has his original green eyes.

"You're not supposed to...Spike? Are you a...dog?" I asked as I saw paws and then a dog that looked very similar to Spike. 

Yes indeed; he even has a tuft of green fur on top of his head to resemble the spines that grow up there. He is standing on a sidewalk in a typical-looking suburban neighborhood during the day. The ladybug is crawling past him, and he circles in place, trying to chase his tail.

"I think so, but...I have no idea what you are!" Spike said, hesitantly wagging his tail. 

I try to look at my hooves, but I see something else, somethings that have my fur tone but they are completely different. 

"Huh?" I asked. 

.

.

.

Hey, my little ponies!

I hope enjoyed this chapter! 

The next chapter is coming on Friday! 

I love you all so much! 

PEACE OUT BABY!