Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

What was better?

To long for the fatherly love your inner child missed out on?

Or to forget the man who left the child to grow up by themselves?

You somehow did both at the same time.

He'll never know that you fell in love in high school. He'll never see the paintings you did of him. He'll never hear about how you moved out to work at a corner store. He'll never know about you wanting to go to art school. He'll never know the child who now changed before his eyes if they were to cross paths again.

He'll never know, because he never answered.

"I miss you." You would say, eye longing for his to observe the tears dangerously close to falling.

"Please come back." You'd whisper, begging for his hand to stroke the top of your head.

* He's not coming back.

You reluctantly turn back, but the image of the house never fades.

In the end, you always wanted to stay in the old house.

But it's best not to return.

✧༺♥༻∞

Red downed another drink, a satisfied sigh leaving his teeth. Another day in Grillby's and another day spent by himself. The hard liquor burned his non-existent throat, using his hoodie sleeve to wipe any excess. Usually Sans would accompany him, but tonight Red found himself wandering off by himself for reasons unknown.

Back in his universe, Grillby's was neutral territory for monsters where they somewhat tolerated each other. Red, however, observed both humans and monsters happily chatting indifferently. He could feel the fire monster's stare by his skull as he idly wiped down another pint. A spitting image of his Grillby, but lacked his purple scorching flames. At least he was as good as it gets.

The restaurant doors swung wide open along with a few friendly monster calls. The name spiked his interest as he craned his head over his shoulder.

The infamous corner store person, strolling in with their wrinkled uniform.

A few dog monsters happily barked ushering to their game of cards. A drunk bunny monster threw in a drunken compliment, yet you sheepishly shook your head, making your way to the front of the counter. He noticed when someone caught your attention, you made sure to respond to every word. Just a small detail he picked up on when he came to bother you at work.

Sooner or later the two of you were in this awkward standoff.

"Hey."

"hey."

You climbed onto the bar stool, eyeing the monster. Surprisingly he kept himself somewhat together, despite the sluggish expression on his face. He lost count after the third one, making sure to put it on Sans' tab instead of his own. He swirled the drink in his hand his red pinpricks on you.

"Jack and coke?" Your lips tug to the side.

"only the best." He replies. "didn't think you'd come in. had a rough day at work or somethin'?" There's that same hostility mannerism, yet you refrained from indulging him further.

"You know how it is." You let out an airy laugh. Things were mundane at work sprinkled with the usual Jessabell antics she gets up to, leading her to the short end of the stick of having the graveyard shift. Red half listened to your story, tracing his bony fingertip along the edge of his glass.