Chapter 9

It was impossible to ride a horse and take Marlon to town. Fortunately, there was no more danger. However, Valery lost a lot of blood and was dizzy. He was also unsure if another danger would come, so he had to look at Marlon's wounds and leave immediately. But, Marlon's condition was unusual.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you, Your Highness. Cough! Please leave immediately. I need to... rest here..."

Marlon, who was struggling to speak, vomited blood and closed his eyes, blurring the ends of his words. His breathing slowed more and more, and he eventually stopped breathing. Valery hugged Marlon with a great shock.

"Marlon, come to your senses!"

"..."

Slowly, Marlon's body became cold. Valery came to his senses. His body was getting colder.

"I will definitely come back and take you back."

The blizzard began to hit hard again. He made Marlon lean under the biggest tree nearby and covered him with his coat.

Valery walked frantically. As his consciousness faded, he saw a small house just a little distance from the village. It was a small house without even a garden.

At first, he thought it was an empty house, as it was located on the side of the road. But there was dew on the windows. It means someone lived there.

Valery dragged his tired body to the front door. He leaned against the porch, catching his breath, and lost consciousness for a moment.

* * *

"...Wake up. If you don't want to die."

The delicate voice brought him to his senses. What would have happened if he hadn't heard that voice?

The image of the woman's figure was seen through his blurred vision. He felt a small body was supporting him. Valery managed to pull himself together and walked along somewhere, holding out as much as possible. It was an old food warehouse where she took Valery. As if the fireplace had been lit, he could feel the warmth.

The woman let him lean against the wall and then disappeared somewhere. He heard a rattling sound from somewhere, but he was dizzy that it was hard to tell whether it was real or not.

Valery pressed his wound as he felt blood keep flowing from his body.

"It will only open your wound more if you do that."

Suddenly, that voice came out near him. It looked like she was randomly putting a bowl of water next to him.

"I'll mash the herbs, so wipe off your blood and apply this on your wound when I'm gone. It will be effective in stopping your bleeding and disinfection. It will also reduce the pain. But you can't stay here long. This isn't a hospital."

Her tone was as cold as ice water, awakening his mind.

"...I will pay you back later."

"You don't need to pay me back. If you need more, I'll put the things you need in the door over there, so use it. There is a heavy blizzard right now, and wild animals may appear, so go as soon as the sun rises tomorrow morning."

She talked with a decisive and cynical tone, but it was clear she saved him. He didn't even know her name.

"Come on, put it on."

There was a strong scent of herbs. Valery nodded his head at her command. After she disappeared again, he picked up the mashed herbs and applied them to the sore spot.
His clothes were soaked in blood, and his body was frozen in the cold, so he couldn't move freely as he wanted. Half of the mashed herbs were spilled, and half other was applied to his wounds. He felt the pain gradually lessen as the herbs permeated.