A Date with a Witch

Start from the beginning

I woke up the next day. And... That dream felt like a punch to my face. I want to go home, how long do I have to keep going with this? I'm blue today, and if I had to decide, I would spend my entire day here, in bed, wallowing in my sadness. I'm already used to this song and dance. Just like back home, you have to mask it and keep going to work.

At the dining hall, I'm eating breakfast by myself. I was hoping to see Meiling, she probably can help me shake this feeling off, but she didn't come. Maybe she's at the gate already?

As I stand up after finishing breakfast, I take some steps towards the main door, but that maid suddenly appears in front of me. "Good morning, Nobuyuki. How did you sleep?"

"Good morning, Sakuya. None too bad really, but I think Patchouli's experiments got to me, so I'm a bit out of it hahaha." I try to sound as nonchalant as possible. "But no worries, I'm already on my way to the main gate. I have to keep an eye on Meiling today, right?"

I look at her, awaiting her response. She's still blocking my way, and a small, insincere smile paints her lips. "About that, it won't be necessary. Lady Patchouli requires your assistance for the time being. And tomorrow too, as well."

Seriously? Goddamn it, I hope she didn't make any breakthroughs while I was asleep. I'm not really looking forward to this. "Oh, okay... I was actually excited about working along Meiling, but if I'm required elsewhere, I shall go without delay."

Sakuya nods, her icy blue eyes looking back at me. Indecipherable as ever. "That's good to hear. Lady Patchouli is in her room right now, please, go check on her. Tell her I'll bring her coffee in a moment."

"Alright, if you see Meiling tell her I said hi."

She didn't even bother to look at me before returning to her chores. Welp, let's see what other horrors Patchouli has in store for me.

Moving towards the second floor, I feel slightly upset. I was hoping some sparring today would help me clear my head. And besides that, Meiling goofiness is adorable, that would uplift my spirits.

As I get closer to Patchouli's chambers, I notice something. Some weird noises are coming from her room... I think I can hear her voice? But sounds like she's gasping for air. Sakuya told me Patchouli is usually very frail physically speaking.

I knocked on her door almost immediately. "Miss librarian, are you okay?!"

"W-wha?! Don't you dare open that door!" After a moment of silence, I hear steps getting closer to the door as it opens. And there she is, her hair is disheveled, her face is red as a tomato, and her clothes are all crumpled. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at the gate today?"

I think I interrupted something. Better not to dwell too much on that. "I'm sorry, I can return later if you need to. Sakuya told me you needed my assistance today."

She sighs, really frustrated. "There's no need, but I didn't request you today. Did she mix the days or something? Sakuya can be so dimwitted sometimes." She sighs again before moving out of the way, letting me get into her room. After she composed herself a bit, she looked back at me. "Huh, you don't look so good today, are you feeling ill after yesterday's breakthrough?"

I shield myself instantly. Then I remember, she already knows I'm an outsider. Maybe I should vent a bit with her. I shake my head. "I feel fine, it is just... I feel lonely, I miss my family." I let out a defeated sigh before taking a seat. "I want to go home."

Her breathing becomes shallow. She looks distraught at my confession for some reason. It takes her a moment to answer. "I see... I often forget the fact that you have a life outside of Gensokyo." She bites her lip, avoiding eye contact. "I know I told you before that I'll help you to find a way out of Gensokyo. But please, wait a little longer. Once we make enough progress in my research, I'll start to look for a way out for you right away. And in case you don't want to wait for me, you'll be strong enough to look for a way out on your own."