The Gatekeeper of the Devil

I froze in place. This redheaded chick not only has an impressive body. She has a few scars on her arms, adding to her intimidating appareance. Her face is scary, and to make things even worse, it doesn't look like she's in the best of moods today. Despite that, I find her face kind of cute, what a shame she looks so pissed off.

Redhead snaps at me again. "Hey, big ears, didn't you hear me? We don't need any of your  medicine. State your business or move along already."

Well, better not to test her patience. "Hey, who are you calling big ears? That's no way to greet someone, you know?" I notice she's taller than me. She's barely able to see my face. Between that and the straw hat obscuring my face. I take it off, trying to sneak a joke to ease her tension. "See? My ears are pretty normal sized, don't you think?"

Her scowl almost dissipates, she then covers her mouth, seemingly embarrassed. "O-oh! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to be so rude! I thought for a second you were one of those annoying rabbits from the bamboo forest. Last time I went there, my foot got stuck in a hole they made and then they left me on the dirt!"

I started laughing, the sheer contrast was astounding. I thought she was about to kick my ass and suddenly she started complaining so sincerely out of the blue.

Redhead sighs. "Come on, don't laugh! That was really painful and ruined the only pair of fancy pants I had..." At least the hostility coming from her was completely gone. I think this was the most amicable conversation I had since I got here.  She shakes her head, annoyed by that memory before speaking again. "Say, traveller, why don't you hang out with me for a little longer? I'm so bored I think I'm going crazy!"

I can't help it and I let a small chuckle out. Despite looking like a badass, this gal is truly a goofball. "Well, you're the second person that actually tried to chat with me, so maybe I just might."

Her face was beaming. She made a small fist bump up in the air. I'm starting to wonder how bored is she to be this happy to talk to a stranger. "Well said, traveler! Give me a second, you must be tired, let me show you something cool!" After saying that, she went to a hut. A little while later, she came back carrying a teapot with a long spout and two cups.

After placing the cups on a flat surface, she exclaimed with excitement "Behold, visitor! This is how we do it in my homeland!" She was holding the teapot with one hand, rising it high from behind her head.

To be honest, I was half expecting her to mess up and burn herself. To my surprise, it didn't happen. She elegantly struck a pose and neatly poured the water inside the cups.

I started clapping, it was a nice display after all. "Wow, I never saw that way of pouring tea before!"

She puffed out her chest proudly. "I don't get to show off quite often, but I'm a master at it!" She giggles as she puts the teapot on top of a wall. Then she gave me one of the cups before sipping hers. "It is not usual for passerbys to stop here, they usually ignore me or are in a hurry trying to put as much distance as they can between them and the mansion. What brings you here?"

"Well, I was looking for a job in the village and I found one of these on a wall." I show her the red paper as she gently grabs it.

She looks at it and then her eyes lighten up. "Oh wow, I remember these! Mistress ordered Sakuya to find more hands to help around the mansion, so, she made a bunch of fliers and plastered them aaall over the village. That was months ago, and that plan flopped hard." She laughed heartily. "Whenever mistress comes up with a silly idea, poor Sakuya has to deal with it. But hey, it took months, but finally someone arrived!"

I take a long sip from my teacup. It is bitter, but at least is refreshing. "Oh? And why's that? Also, who's Sakuya?"

Redhead chuckles, looking at me with curiosity. "Really? Are you a recluse like Lady Patchouli perhaps? Well, let's just say mistress has a... reputation, and is not too popular in the village." She took a small sip before continuing. "Even Sakuya mocked mistress for thinking that humans would like to work for her. It seems to me someone has to eat her words now that a brave human wants that job!"