A Deadly Tea Party

It's been two days since the moon was painted red. Everything is pretty normal so far. Sakuya seems in a better mood now (although she gives me the cold shoulder all the time), and so does Patchouli.

Me? I feel really nervous about all this. The anticipation is killing me.

On the morning of the third day, I was having breakfast with Meiling, and once we were done, we walked together for a bit before parting ways. Another regular day with Patchouli for me. I just want this to end already. At least today's concoction didn't have anything too bad, and the librarian seemed really happy after that night. She really seems to care about Remilia. It was adorable.

After we were done for the day, I made my way towards the main gate, but before I could go outside the mansion, a voice called me from behind.

"Nobuyuki, good evening." It was the maid. She finally addressed me after ignoring me for about two months already.

"Miss maid, good evening to you too. Do you need something from me?"

"In fact, yes, I have a new assignment for you. I suppose Meiling told you about the incoming event, yes?" She looks at peace. The usual tension and coldness coming from her is almost gone for some reason. She really misses her mistress, huh.

"Oh, you mean Lady Remilia's banquet?"

A smile creeps through her lips as she nods. "Mhm, exactly that. Now, you did well with Lady Patchouli so far. But there's something else I require from you. You must attend Lady Flandre's tea party."

Those last three words felt like a bag of rocks inside my stomach. My breathing became shallow and my hands were shaking. "E-excuse me?"

She's still smiling. I don't know if she doesn't care about my reaction, or worse, she's enjoying it. "Oh, excuse my insensitivity. I forgot about what happened between you two." She covers her mouth and giggles...? "But I believe mistress would appreciate it if you keep Lady Flandre company for the evening. After all, as your senior, it is my duty to whip you into shape for our mistress' approval."

'Our Mistress'. Those words feel weird to me, but she's right. I'm practically a servant. But still, what's exactly the point in making me attend a tea party with... her? What am I supposed to learn from being locked underground with that monster?

She notices I'm a little too silent and chimes in again. "Please, do not worry. Lady Flandre already expressed her remorse for her previous behavior. Indulging her at least once, not only would give you our mistress' good graces, you'll also be practicing to serve her once she arrives."

I don't like this idea one bit, and I can't shake the feeling she's enjoying watching me shiver with fear. But, I suppose I stalled long enough from assisting to that tea party or whatever. "... I imagine you can guess how much I dislike this idea. But I'll try my best, I guess. When is this tea party supposed to happen?"

She nods approving my response. "In less than ten minutes. Let me escort you."

Hold on! Ten minutes!? "Hey hey hey, wait, at least let me fix my clothes or something!"

She chuckles, dragging me to the basement. "Don't trouble yourself like that, Nobuyuki. Besides, this is a surprise tea party. It would be better if you're already there before she wakes up."

The stench is worse than I remember down here. And I can hear Koakuma scratching the door as Sakuya pushes me past it, guiding me to Flandre's room. God, my stomach is a knot. Not only I'll have to deal with that monstrous vampire, Koakuma is just as close. I can't put into words how distressed I feel in this horrible place.

Trying to make some time, I talk to Sakuya. "What's with that smell? This basement didn't smell like sulfur before."

The maid stops, tilting her head. "Sul... fur? Where did you see sullied fur? Just point it out and I'll clean it in just a blink." She shakes her head. "My, that can wait. Let's keep going."