ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟮𝟬| 𝗔𝗶𝗺 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗔𝗻𝘀𝘄𝗲𝗿

Start from the beginning

Axelle stared ahead of her while I examined my surroundings, searching for the exit. But it was of no use. Everything looked the same, and my mind was racing too and I suddenly couldn't concentrate.

The room we ended up in was not much different. It exuded a metallic dread, its walls painted a suffocating black that seemed to swallow any light. Dim, flickering light bulbs cast eerie shadows.

Madame Henderson pointed to the chairs near the front of the room. We obliged, but we knew we had no choice. It was life or death. And we weren't planning on dying for no reason.

"Bring in the accused in order, Melvin." Her voice echoed throughout the entire room. She crossed her arms and nodded, and we curiously waited for the arrival.

It was Cyprus. His face looked swollen, blood all over his face. We watched in stunned silence as he walked over, battered and bloodied. His eyes, though closed with pain, held a defiant glint that reminded me of his ruthlessness that was long gone now.

I clenched my fists, feeling a surge of anger and helplessness. Cyprus, as evil as he was, was now standing face to face with death. The accusations kept going as the guy, who was most likely an executioner, read them off of a list. Cyprus remained stoic, his face betraying no emotion at all until we heard the pop.

We froze. We stopped breathing. Axelle winced beside me, her eyes looking down onto the floor. Madame Henderson looked pained as she stared into the blank void. I wondered if Axelle even watched the shot happen or better to believe that she didn't.

I watched in helpless shock as some of the younger Verids were brought up next, their faces etched with resignation and fear as they waited. I gulped, my stomach suddenly taking a churn but I suppressed everything in me. Every emotion. Every feeling.

Axelle didn't even look up anymore.

Then, it was just constant pops. Just kept happening again and again. They only stalled when an elderly man in a grey suit approached Madame Henderson.

"Are the executions going alright, Melissa?" he asked while straightening his suit. "These are the accused?"

Melissa Henderson hesitated, "Sir, don't you think that we should wait and gather more evidence before we-"

"Are you chickening out, Melissa? I thought you had what it takes?" he goaded as Madame Henderson shrunk in her seat. It was the first time I saw her confidence dwindle.

"Absolutely not," she confirmed, "They're going well. You don't need to worry, Sir."

The old man left the room feeling triumphant enough about this scene. I wondered how many times these executions happened. Were they every day? Or was there a specific schedule?

I wasn't frantic, well, I wasn't frantic until I saw Keira near the end of the line.

"Keira," I managed as I watched her face the floor, not looking up even once. Even then, you could see the torture they put her through and her face was pale, cut, and bruised. Behind her was...her brother.

They'd brought her brother who was in hiding, which meant-

I watched as the four-year-old Alissa slowly moved along the line. Madame Henderson put Alissa in the line for execution. She put a four-year-old child for execution. She...

I couldn't do it anymore. Even if I died, I wouldn't be alive to watch her kill Keira, her brother, or Alissa.

Axelle didn't notice her yet.

"Alissa," I breathed out and Axelle looked up, her eyes squaring in on the one odd placement in the line. The toddler. The innocent one who did nothing wrong.