The Art of Imagery-Writing Haiku -Gabriel

The Art of Imagery–Writing Haiku

You might be familiar with haiku, a form of poetry which originated in Japan during the 15th century. It began as a 17-syllable verse, or stanza, but soon became a poem in itself. Most often, haiku is a celebration of nature. Still popular among poets, haiku is concise, combining imagery to produce emotion and meaning. An image is a picture in words. Although images are usually related to sight, they can include all the senses: smell, taste, sound and touch.

Importantly, a vivid image appeals to both the senses and the emotions. Haiku depends upon the image to provide this depth. Always remember that the image does much more than decorate a poem-it should enhance the poem's meaning.

Here are the structural features of the 17 syllable haiku: a) it has 3 lines, b) the first and third lines have 5 syllables, c) the second line has 7 syllables. Here's an example:

The light rising fast (5)
Over the far eastern plains (7)
Brings daytime to all. (5)

Writing Exercise Prompt 1.
Now it's time for you to practice this ancient form. Write three haiku. Be sure to create vivid images. Feel free to adorn your poems with drawings.

For meaning keeping track of ordering 17 syllables right is too much of a big ask. —Lumna10.

Book Example: Magic Treehouse Merlin's Missions Dawn of the Red Dragon set in Japan Jack and Annie travel there and meet the exceptional real life poet Basho who does excellent Haikus want to improve take a look at that Japanese poet's work. Ah, the magic gifts of Historical fiction it helps us learn of people real significant people we may never have heard without the painful burdens of physical jet-lag from real traveling, Skylights. —Lumna10.