Chapter 55

The first half of the ride was so quiet that it was almost uncomfortable. Both girls were deep in thought.

After two minutes, Lisa was drumming nervously on the seat. After four minutes, she kept looking over at Jennie and nervously playing with her fingers.

Jennie finally returned her gaze.

"What do you want to say?"

Lisa's eyes fell on the driver. Jennie smiled gently.

"The guy listens in on private conversations all the time. No matter what you say, it can't be that bad. It doesn't bother me."

Lisa nodded and finally looked down at her feet.

"Are you breaking up?"

Jennie's heart dropped.

"What? No, we just got together! Why would I break up with you? Do you want to break up?"

She spoke a little more frantically than she would have liked, but she hadn't expected the question.
Fortunately, Lisa shook her head.

"I don't want to break up. But I wouldn't blame you if your relationship with your parents is more important to you. I mean... you're bi, right? You could find a boy someday, and-"

Jennie grabbed Lisa's face with both hands and looked deep into her eyes.

"I want you, moron!",

she said sternly.
Lisa blinked in surprise, then grinned crookedly.

"That sounds nice. Say it again."

Jennie rolled her eyes, but couldn't help grinning too.

"Moron.",

she said, smiling at Lisa's pouting.
Then her eyes became serious again.

"Lisa, don't worry about it. My mother… well, she may not like it very much, but I don't think she's homophobic. At least I hope so. Besides, the morning didn't get off to the best start. And I..."

She cleared her throat briefly.

"I may have provoked my parents a little because I was annoyed at how little they trusted me."

Lisa nodded.

"I was so panicked just now! My brain just froze.",

she mumbled, then gently slapped Jennie's upper arm.

"I've only just woken up and suddenly I'm supposed to meet your parents? Why couldn't I at least prepare for a few days. We haven't even been together for a day!"

Jennie smiled cautiously.

"It was okay? That I told them?"

"I wouldn't have nodded otherwise."

Relieved, Jennie breathed out.

"I was afraid I'd got it wrong.",

she confessed.
She had acted rather rashly earlier and seemed to have suddenly (belatedly) found herself in her rebellious teenage phase, which was why she didn't really care what her parents thought at that moment.
Didn't care was perhaps not the right word, she just suddenly felt completely wronged. After her parents had let her live alone for ages, they suddenly didn't trust her with the responsibility anymore? Because she might have a boy over?
As said, unfair.

But neither did she really want to disappoint her parents, whom she loved and saw rarely enough as it was, nor did she want to abuse Lisa's trust by playing rebel.
Especially after hearing about Lisa's own experiences.