Chapter 22: Mr. One-Liner

Comenzar desde el principio

I learned to love it because of Magnus. Ilang beses niya na kasi akong ginagawan nito. Before, I didn't know it existed. I was more familiar with its other version, which is Eggs Benedict. Iyong klase na parang Bacon Benedict na dapat ang tawagin dahil mas marami ang bacon na pinalalagay ko kesa sa itlog.

Since Magnus is a health buff, he prefers to cook the Florentine one, which is topped with spinach rather than bacon. Sometimes he even does Eggs Royale, which has salmon in it.

I had my mouth full of food when Magnus came back. I gave him a nod and pointed at my plate with my fork. "I don't know how you do it, but thanks."

Umupo siya sa tabi ko. "It's not that hard to make it."

"Not that hard? You made a hollandaise sauce from scratch on a normal Thursday morning."

"People do it all the time."

"I doubt that," I said between mouthfuls. "I definitely don't."

Inangat niya ang kamay niya at dahil hindi ko inaasahan ang pakay no'n ay hindi ako nakaiwas ng may kung ano siyang inalis sa gilid ng mga labi ko. "Hindi mo naman kailangan. Nandito naman ako."

Inabot ko ang tubig sa lamesa at uminom ako bago pa tuluyang bumara ang kinakain ko sa lalamunan ko. Ano ba talagang nangyayari sa isang 'to? There's really something different about him.

"What are your plans today?"

I looked at the ceiling for a brief moment as I chewed. "Hmm. I need to review the editorial contents for Maven's upcoming issue, I'm stopping by production to check them out, and I have a couple of meetings scheduled, and one of them is with Daniel and Amanda. Why?"

"Have lunch with me."

"Bakit?"

"Because I want to have lunch with you."

Naguguluhang tinignan ko siya. It's not like we've done that... ever. Kapag nasa trabaho kami ay parehas kaming hindi mahihila sa ginagawa namin. "Bakit nga?" Kinuha ko ang cellphone ko at binuhay ko ang screen no'n. "Hindi mo naman birthday."

"Do I need to set up a meeting just to have lunch with you?"

"Hindi naman. Nakakapagtaka lang. You're someone who prefers to be alone, so I'm surprised you're asking me."

"I do prefer to be alone."

"So... why?"

"I don't have people that I like enough to eat with me. I like my employees, pero baka hindi pa matunawan ang mga iyon. Lunch time is for them to relax and talk, and that wouldn't happen if they're with their boss."

"So you like me then?" Mahina akong napatawa. "Samantalang dati kulang na lang mag-book ka ng flight papunta sa ibang planeta para taguan ako."

"You were too persistent, and you have the habit of railroading me with your... youthful energy. I was busy, and I wanted peace, but that doesn't mean that I hate you."

He's trying to be vague, but I know him better than he thinks I do. "I know you don't hate me, but I also know you don't like me." Sinundot ko siya sa braso. "Huwag ka ng magkaila. Ako lang 'to. Si Luna na ilang beses mong binasted."

Surprise spread all over me when he raised his own hand and copied me. Ang pagkakaiba lang ay ang pisngi ko ang pinindot niya. "Not liking you is different from not wanting to like you."

"W-What... why?"

"Because one look at you, I know you're trouble."

My mouth dropped open, but before I could speak, he had already risen from his seat to gather the plate. Nilagay niya iyon sa lababo bago niya ako tinapunan ng tingin. "I cooked, you wash. Magpapalit muna ako ng damit."