6. Suspicions

Cerulean eyes watched intently as the spinning dice slowed to a stop, landing on a-

Four.

"Yeah!" A blond-haired boy, who looked around six years old, leaped into the air with a loud cheer, "I win!"

An older-looking man's blue eyes were alight with mischief.

"Not so fast," the man with a clean-shaven jaw grinned cheekily, "You've still got to do twenty sit-ups."

The blond-haired boy groaned loudly at that.

Expression sulky, the boy picked up the small blue block of plastic from the board that resembled the layout for Candy Land and placed it on top of the final square - a square that had a wobbly drawing of a stick figure in the middle of doing a sit-up with the number 20 under it.

Suddenly, the creaking sound of unoiled door hinges turning resounded within the room.

Both the man and the child's heads snapped towards the door.

"We really need to get this door fixed, Haruki." a woman's amused voice came from the doorway, "It sounds like a rat is dying in here every time I jostle the door even a little."

"Mama!" The young blond visibly perked up at the woman's figure, a bright smile emerging on his face, "You're back!"

The boy rushed towards the woman and hugged her tightly, to which the woman immediately returned with the same ferocity.

"Oh my little Kira," she said fondly as she squished his cheek with her free hand after letting the boy loose, her other hand still occupied with carrying a visibly bulging plastic bag, "So excited to see me?

She paused before her lips quirked up in amusement.

"... Or did you just want the food?"

"You, of course!" the blond boy shamelessly proclaimed as he took the bag from the woman's hand, "Let me carry this for you, mama."

The man still in the living room laughed.

The woman rolled her eyes, her smile indulgent as she watched the boy squint at the contents inside the bag.

"You can only eat ice cream after you do twenty sit-ups, Kira!" The man called out when the little boy's eyes lit up after seeing whatever he saw within the bag, "No cheating!"

Kira let out a dramatic whine.

-

Beeeep-

Cerulean eyes snapped open.

A hand swiftly snatched the phone off the bedstand and pressed 'X', before loosening its hold and letting the silenced phone flop listlessly onto the mattress.

The body originally wrapped comfortably within a thick blanket heaved itself into a sitting position.

6:OO AM.

Deft fingers remained still for a moment longer before moving and prying the blanket off his body, letting the warmth that was originally bottled within the thick covers dissipate into the cool morning air.

Kira slipped his feet into his slippers and slid off from the side of his bed, his movements languid.

He promised to meet up with Ayanokoji in front of the other's dorm at 7:20 AM so they could try out the cafeteria's breakfast.

He grabbed the corners of his blanket and lifted it into the air, letting it air out.

10 minutes to get ready, 40 minutes of jogging, then 10 minutes for a quick rinse and change with a 20-minute buffer.