Chapter Thirty-Six ۞ Grand Opening

Start from the beginning

They've probably done enough of that. Corvan himself didn't look like he wanted any of those.

They then all marched out.

"We welcome you to Celeste Academy's Ember Festival!"

Banners and small flags dotted the vicinity in a flurry of red, blue, and gold. The biggest pennant was hoisted to the topmost spot in the entire Academy, bearing the school's trademark coat of arms--a winged sword with a shower of feathers.

The opening day for the Ember Festival was a hectic one, as expected. Visitors flooded the gates in excitement the moment they opened. Music rode the wind, floating softly and gently that it made all uncertainty disappear.

Exhilaration showed on the faces of the students and visitors, even the Twelve. Genevieve was exhibiting utter distress while Valeriana was filled with insecurities--something she was starting to feel annoyed at because of the persistence. As they said, she did her part of the job quite well. Yet, despite their reassurances, she could not help but fuss over the littlest imperfections she laid her eyes on.

Elfre, on the other hand, was feigning her apathy while Keelan ardently expressed his own enthusiasm. The others were mostly calm but showed how much they were looking forward to how the day would end. Brindon was . . . well, Brindon.

Moments later and the Twelve were supervising on different work stations scattered all over the place.

Charles was assigned in the main dining hall, the kitchen bathing in heat at the roar of fire from the cooking furnace. Valeriana checked the rooms occasionally, especially the death tunnel. It was serving as one of the best attractions yet, seeing as the students were trying out their skills. The protective suit was impervious to any blade no matter how sharp, but left marks to remind how many obstacles were failed.

Of course, the blowtorch portion was amusing.

The Twelve had yet to try it, nonetheless.

Tamara had been speaking through sound amplifiers and was the primary voice of the event. She was a constant presence, her humorous personality a hit among the crowd.

"Hello and welcome!" A cough resonated. "Damn apple--anyway. Welcome to Celeste Academy! Please approach Lord Keelan on the Help Desk to obtain the guide map to the different attractions we've put up! Don't forget to stick out for the finale of the day! The ultimate tournament will be between Brindon Jintaci and Keelan von Keiffer de la Kaiven, twelfth and eleventh of the Twelve respectively. If you have questions, that's none of my business."

A chorus of laughter echoed.

"I'm kidding. The Help Desk is assigned for the same purpose. You know where to go! If you don't, better not lose that map!"

It was still very early, so the audience was few and the air was cool. The weather might turn hotter later on, though.

A few hours later into the opening, Valeriana was dead tired. She approached a stall selling the familiar barbequed meatballs back in Larkovia. It seemed to be some sort of common food in this world.

"Excuse me, can I have one?" She asked, smiling tiredly.

The girl assigned recognized her immediately and smiled. Her gaze was momentarily drawn to the number on her arm. "Do you want some water to go with it?"

"Yes, please."

As she was fixing her order, Lord Lienhard came hopping beside her. He had his hood and cape on, but she would recognize him anywhere.

"Hello, dear one!" He exclaimed. "Do give me a stick and dip it into the hot sauce!"

"Sure thing, sir."