CHAPTER 6 : OLD FRIENDS

The adults who were left took a glance at the Freen and Becky's receeding figure and smiled at the pair of kids dotingly

When they were sure they were out of ears length, Marco and Margaret took the time that the kids were away to have a chat with Suzanne.

Marco: How have you been, Suzanne?

(Marco and Suzanne were childhood friends and they had always found each other likable.

They weren't as close as Marco and Anna were, but they both knew that they would always be there if one of them needed help.

It has been so long since they last met each other that they can't help but feel awkward with each other's sudden company)

Marco: How the times have changed, huh?

S: Sad that we grew up?

Marco: Hah! We didn't grow up Sue, we grew old, hahaha

S: Speak for yourself, M. I am but 31 years old, and I still consider myself quite young.
I am still in my prime if I can say so myself.

Marco: What's your plan then?

S: Plans, huh? Hmmm, well, I've been well, and I'm happy being by Freen's side.

Marco: So that's your plan?
To stay by the child's side?

S: Well, somebody has to

(Marco and Margaret had seen the soft glare coming from Suzanne and sighed)

Margaret: Suzanne, surely you must know that what we do is for the children's sake, right?

(Suzanne snorted)

S: Hah, Anna said the same thing before she threw her only daughter halfway across the world alone.

Margaret: Well, she's not really alone, is she?
She's lucky to have you Suzanne

(Margaret smiled softly at the admirable young woman in front of her

Seeing the genuine smile on Margaret's face, the attitude of Suzanne softened significantly)

S: No. I am lucky to have a Freen.
(Suzanne said with a doting smile)

S: Freen is the kindest, most thoughtful child I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

You could say it was love at first sight.

I knew I was a goner the moment her big doe eyes stared at me

And when she smiled... ugh her smile is the most precious thing in the world.
I would do anything for that smile...

It's quite sad that she lost her smile.
(Suzanne said the last words in barely a whisper. Clearly it wasn't meant to be heard but nevertheless, it didn't escape the couple's ears...

The couple looked at each other, seeing curiosity in each other's eyes.
They were contemplating if they should ask more about the child)

S: How about you? How have you been?

(Suzanne, seeing the growing curiosity in the couple's eyes, immediately shifted gears and tried to divert their attention.

Marco knew Suzanne all too well, and she knew when she didn't want to talk further)

Marco: we're surviving, hahaha

S: Just surviving?
That's rich coming from you

(Suzanne smirked at him, to which Marco responded by laughing boisterously)

Marco: Well, I am rich, but so are you Sue

S: Hah, I'm just a normal citizen when compared to you guys
I dare not boast