𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

IFEDAYO'S POV:

i arrived back in the hall after using the toilet and freshening myself up, luckily i came back with five minutes to spare.

'guys, i bumped into some weird guy when i was going to the bathroom," i whisper to my friends, trying not to be too loud.

'really? what did he look like?' rhiannon whispered back.

'he was lightskin, had short curly hair and a latin accent. he was kinda leng, (he was extremely beautiful),' i responded back.

'did you get his name?' vanessa asks me, carrying my sleeping brother in her lap.

'no, i wasn't able to but-,'
'SHHHHH,' some old ahh lady says, trying to get us to be quiet. 'the eldest son's speech is about to start!'

we all sit up straight and wait for the arrival of the eldest son and then he walks in, the guy that flipping bumped into me and almost made me wet myself. i try to get my friend's attention but earned a stern glare from the old ahh lady which i presume said 'don't even try to talk to them!' so i stayed quiet.

'welcome ladies and gentlemen to the 101th annual gala, we are happy for you to celebrate and join us with this celebration, our families have led this country for many years and since hard work pays off, we should have the right to celebrate our achievements," the eldest son pauses for a moment and looks directly at me, then winks at me (i eternally gasp.)

'he definitely winked at me,' 'no he winked at me!' i hear random girls whine behind me.

he continues, 'there's something my grandfather used to say, 'bez pracy nie ma kołaczy,' which translates to 'no pain, no gain,' this phrase emphasises the importance of hard work and that nothing in life comes for free so you have to work for it, just like our parents did and our forefathers so with that said enjoy tonight and remember that hard work pays off,'

the whole hall erupted into applause and praised the eldest son for his beautiful speech.

'guys, that was the guy that bumped into me!' i say to my friends, grabbing their attention.

'oh, you bumped into marcelo,' rhiannon replies, trying to hold in her laughter.

vanessa starts laughing too. 'he's our friend! do you wanna meet him?'

'there's a table where the kids of the chosen families sit at, he will be there so let's go!' rhiannon says, grabbing my hand and leading me to the table.

author's notes:
that speech was beautiful (of course it was, i wrote it 😂😂🤣🤣🤣)